Spider injection upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently did the upgrade on my '98 K2500. I bought the truck running pretty rough. It had leaking intake manifold gaskets and injectors. After the new gaskets, injector spider and a tune-up it runs 100x better. The mileage before was unbearable and now it is noticeably better. I bought the truck to mount a plow on and it runs amazing. I can't say how much is due to the injector upgrade, but I found the Delphi unit brand new on ebay for $267. Keep an eye out for that price, well worth it !
$241.85 on amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/Delphi-FJ1056...qid=1391276823&sr=8-1&keywords=delphi+fj10566

Silverstang84

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I just ordered it off of amazon, when it gets here I'll let you guys know how the install goes

Hydengr

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've read that the spider upgrade is a great improvement "IF" you're experiencing issues with your stock setup. However, "IF" your stock setup if functioning as designed, and you swap in the improved spider, you will not notice any difference. I realize that these trucks are "getting old" (I actually picked mine up from the dealer 18 yrs ago today!) and that even those that have been well maintained would probably benefit. That being said, I do wonder what the gains would be on a well maintained relatively low milage rig like mine. I'm at 138K. Engine wise, I've only had to replace the intake manifold gaskets and would have gone to the new spider setup at that time if I knew about it. I'm just wondering how much of a real world difference it would make if I were to do it today...

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've read that the spider upgrade is a great improvement "IF" you're experiencing issues with your stock setup. However, "IF" your stock setup if functioning as designed, and you swap in the improved spider, you will not notice any difference. I realize that these trucks are "getting old" (I actually picked mine up from the dealer 18 yrs ago today!) and that even those that have been well maintained would probably benefit. That being said, I do wonder what the gains would be on a well maintained relatively low milage rig like mine. I'm at 138K. Engine wise, I've only had to replace the intake manifold gaskets and would have gone to the new spider setup at that time if I knew about it. I'm just wondering how much of a real world difference it would make if I were to do it today...
Truthfully, not much. Our Denali had 118K on it when we did it. I did have a slight miss that went away afterward but no performance improvements. We used good fuel from trusted stations and regular seafoaming of the intake and fuel but I imagine that if somebody used the cheapest fuel that would burn from Billy Bob's cigarettes and gas, clogged injectors could happen much quicker resulting in a noticeable difference by doing the upgrade.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just ordered it off of amazon, when it gets here I'll let you guys know how the install goes
Quick tip. Some guys don't realize that the fuel lines cross over one another inside the manifold. There are numbers on the unit that correspond with what injector goes with which cylinder. 7-8 years ago I bought a vortec truck cheap because of an install gone wrong. It wouldn't even fire, the distributor was a tooth out an the injectors were laid out like a spider, not like a spider that had to pee.

BOTTLEDZ28

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have plans on doing this once the weather warms up a bit here and the days get longer. My Tahoe has 130K on it and it gets hard to start once during the day after its morning cold start. No SES light.

Is there any other things I should change and/or replace while I have the upper intake off?

Also, does anyone know what size thread the shrader valve is? I'd like to add a fuel pressure gauge to it

Silverstang84

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The vac leak in mine makes me think someone else was under the upper intake at one time or another, soninwom be surprised if I find that a few io the injector legs are going to the wrong place.. But I doubt it. The truck runs perfect besides the vac leak.. I'll post results before and after..

Silverstang84

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Update: I installed the new upgraded injector system. The truck runs better than new.. Great power, great throttle response and better has mileage.. If you haven't done this upgrade I really recommend it..

glfirefighter144

Whoa Black Betty
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would be afraid if my 98 got better mileage, already 20 consistently, 22 and change last fill-up

Sent from my DROID RAZR M using Tapatalk 2