Spider injection upgrade?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Silverstang84

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone upgraded there spider injection to a direct port style? If so, what kit did you use?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
The injectors spray directly in the port in the Vortec intake manifold, and can supply enough fuel to feed approximately 400 hp. If you want to make over that, then you are going to have to swap out the intake for a marine intake with external injectors, and a whole lot of headaches that go with the swap.

The originals are a poppet design, there is a MPFI kit with slim injectors that work in the stock intake. Not sure what you are after, but here's an article on the difference:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/1012or-csfi-to-mpfi-vortec-engine-fueling-fix/

Here's a picture of where the injector is located in relation to the port, it literally sprays fuel at the backside of the intake valve.

You must be registered for see images

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Upgraded wifey's '99 burb to MPFI with Delphi p/n FJ10566,big improvement.It's been great for almost three years now.

Silverstang84

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep. The Delphi unit was exactly the one I had in mind. I'll order it up and post results. Thanks fellas..

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Im sure that i am not approaching 400 hp, do you think this setup would make a noticeable improvement? My idle has always been a touch rough, even after cleaning the tb and doing a complete tune up before the cam swap. I figure the injectors are probably to blame. I assume my #4 injector is leaking, that plug always has much more soot on it than the rest. Anyone else run this setup?

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Here's a pic of the old & the new.The upgrade is way more efficient at getting the right amount of fuel to the combustion chamber.BTW that round shiny looking thing is the fuel pressure regulator.

You must be registered for see images attach

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
Im REALLY looking into this. Looks like 100% better design. Why have i never heard of this setup??

Fuel583

Reaction score
I recently did the upgrade on my '98 K2500. I bought the truck running pretty rough. It had leaking intake manifold gaskets and injectors. After the new gaskets, injector spider and a tune-up it runs 100x better. The mileage before was unbearable and now it is noticeably better. I bought the truck to mount a plow on and it runs amazing. I can't say how much is due to the injector upgrade, but I found the Delphi unit brand new on ebay for $267. Keep an eye out for that price, well worth it !

volunteerff21

8 Lug Hoarder
Reaction score
This is a very worthwhile upgrade. As stated before a 100% better design. Plus you replace the prone to leak FPR while you're in there. Any 5.7 Vortec I ever buy will be getting this upgrade.