Spider Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Slime

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, my 1996 2500 5.7 with 198000 miles has developed a miss. While nothing has been 100% we believe it's the spider injectors. Strong smell of gasoline, 3 different scanners (2 from reputable shops ) show no electrical issues/ miss fires, No codes at all. Just out of the blue it has developed a miss and lose of power most notable below 2000 rpm but still running rough. Last shop checked it over, did a smoke test to see if it had a leak but found nothing. plugs, wires and cap all good or new. My question is Rock Auto shows 2 different units. One is 6.5 mm tubing the other is 5 mm. Is the 6.5 just an upgrade, or is it specific to a certain model? Any other options? Ironically, I work at Advance Auto but we can't even get that part for my truck. While watching a video of someone installing a new spider injector he said he was getting a code for lean banks 1 and 2. I took it to a shop because I thought they could at least tell me what was the issue, but nothing concrete.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Strong smell of gasoline,
WHERE? At the tailpipe? Under the hood? In the cab?

3 different scanners (2 from reputable shops ) show no electrical issues/ miss fires, No codes at all.
I don't understand how you can notice misfires, and not get a misfire count on whichever cylinder is causing trouble.

Rock Auto shows 2 different units. One is 6.5 mm tubing the other is 5 mm. Is the 6.5 just an upgrade, or is it specific to a certain model? Any other options?
First I've heard of that. Any chance one is an ID and the other is an OD measurement?

Ironically, I work at Advance Auto but we can't even get that part for my truck.
"That part"? A spider? Closest I found on the Advance web-site is a "reman" unit with no photo.

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I looked at the injector systems I also saw the two differnt tube diameters but I thought one was the original spider poppet injector type and the other was the upgraded type with the newer style injectors. My missfire is less pronounced than yours so I am hoping good fuel with detergent will clear it over time (truck had sat for 7 years before rebuild).

Slime

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You smell gasoline outside the vehicle when it's running. I assume that the misfire is from a leaking injector line and dumping fuel into the cylinders in a large gulp instead of a spray mist. The parts on Rock Auto appear to be a standard and an upgraded unit, but I don't know that. Like I said, Advance doesn't have a part available in any of our outlets. Don't know why. Just trying to figure out the best route to go on a repair.

Slime

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I looked at the injector systems I also saw the two differnt tube diameters but I thought one was the original spider poppet injector type and the other was the upgraded type with the newer style injectors. My missfire is less pronounced than yours so I am hoping good fuel with detergent will clear it over time (truck had sat for 7 years before rebuild).
Mine was being driven fairly regularly. I've tried a cleaner, but i don't think it's going to help. If I can upgrade it, I will. Moto Man fuel injection supply doesn't have anything for it at this time. Waiting to hear back rom them to see if and when they will be in stock again.

kylenautique

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I installed the AC Delco injector upgrade unit. https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...e-truck-1998-chevrolet-k1500-pickup-4wd?pos=6

helpful tips when doing this... Keep the spider unit in a warm place and don't install it in a cold garage. The hoses don't bend well. Also, I sprayed the bottom of it with silicone spray to help lubricate the O-Rings. Also, make sure to lube up the o-ring that seals against the spider injector body on the upper plenum. Silicone spray will be your friend on this job.

Slime

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, finally swapped out the spider but the issue is still there. Guess i need to do a compression check on #3 and #5 cylinders. Those two plugs were very black and they were new. Swapped out those two plugs, but it's still missing and acting like it did before the spider swap. So, I'm guessing it's either a head gasket, a valve seal/guide or valve spring...

Slime

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, who would have thought that the new distributor cap would be bad. The last thing I thought it would be was what it was. Found out that the cap was shorting between the #3 and #5 cylinders inside the cap, but you couldn't see it. It's inside the plastic where the 2 cylinders meet...