Getting rid of spider injection! Curiosity????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I once reprogrammed my Suburban’s ECU to shift the 4L60E to whatever gear I had selected with the column shift, i.e., to enable a sort of manual gear selection, and I also enabled TCC lockup at all possible times (TCC lockup is selectable in 2,3,4, not 1) and set the TCC to remain locked b/t shifts (to extent the ECU would allow).

I did it just for grins, to see what it was like. I simply drove it about town a little when traffic was light.

After that bit of fun, I (re)programmed the ECU back to its prior config.

End of experiment.
I have done a dyno only mode for mine a few times, locked to 2nd gear, TCC apply at 30 mph.

Reaction score
What's the reason for wanting to $h!tcan the existing EFI / intake? Did you install too much engine for the existing EFI to handle?

:popcorn:

I for one appreciate the operability / drivability / tunability / reliability offered by the stock EFI system, as well as the deep knowledge base on how to maintain it. Then there's the swap to the 0411 ECU, which offers improvements over stock (and which I haven't done, but I know it's out there).

I can see a carb having it's place, but if you've already got a functioning EFI and there's no necessity to change to a carb (e.g., "too much engine")...

Heck, even if your EFI's not functioning, the route to repair it is well paved and all the 'abilities it offers are retained.

I've got an Edelbrock / AFB on my Camaro and too often I have to clean out the idle air bleeds or remove the growth of bacteria (or some sort of greenish yuck) that takes up residence in the fuel bowls.
I have already repaired the EFI system. Then had huge distributor issue getting one to work right. Trying to clear the Cam Correlation code, it was a giant pain one of the dumbest issues I've ever dealt with. I do not like the plastic intake and spider injection, never even knew it existed until I got the truck.

But I decided to take it back to carb, and do it correctly. I'm not just going to do it over a weekend. Doing my research and parts collecting to do it all and fuctional.

So I was asking if anyone had any input!
I get that people like the stock set up, but I'm not one of them looking for a personal build and feels.

Reaction score
and if you do not have the money for a transmission swap or a stand alone control unit you will be doing some thing like what this guy did
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Yea, this is one of the options I've seen. If I'm going to go this far, I'll slap a manual in it. Make it American theft proof, Lol!

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Plenty of Americans can drive stick. It’s alive and well where I live.

Here’s a thread on carb swapping. It has been done enough that there’s good info out there.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have already repaired the EFI system. Then had huge distributor issue getting one to work right. Trying to clear the Cam Correlation code, it was a giant pain one of the dumbest issues I've ever dealt with. I do not like the plastic intake and spider injection, never even knew it existed until I got the truck.

But I decided to take it back to carb, and do it correctly. I'm not just going to do it over a weekend. Doing my research and parts collecting to do it all and fuctional.

So I was asking if anyone had any input!
I get that people like the stock set up, but I'm not one of them looking for a personal build and feels.

Perhaps whoever stabbed the distributor needed to read the section in the FSM on doing it correctly. I have yet to stab one that set a code prior to actually hooking up the scan tool to set the CMR.

The plastic intake and spider was problem free for me once I ditched the OE poppets. I have owned about 6 vehicles with them one of which I was lucky enough it was built late enough to come with the OE spider upgrade from GM.

It is definitely a feel good thing because a carb is going to run worse in every way and be much less reliable on todays fuels. Spend far more $$$ for less power, less torque and worse fuel mileage as well as making your vehicle illegal to operate on any road in all 50 states. Coming from someone that ran a carb on a L31 over year as a tuning project using the 0411 to control timing, the transmission, ac, fans, speedo, abs, etc. I had a couple of LS guys wanting to run carbs on their street/strip hotrods using an inexpensive carb intake, their existing high $$$$ carbs and fuel system while using the inexpensive 0411 that came with the engine to run the coils, transmission, fans, etc. In that case it actually made sense, on a stock L31 or even one making 400-450 hp it makes zero sense.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea, this is one of the options I've seen. If I'm going to go this far, I'll slap a manual in it. Make it American theft proof, Lol!
My 2003 Sonora with the L31 was a NV450p 5spd. Main reason I bought the thing, rebuilt title, non-running and all. Plenty of us can still drive sticks.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score