solid axle swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
ok guys im thinking im going to use my taxes this year and solid axle swap my 88 the plan is to buy a new frame and start fresh since my frame has been fixed and needs to be fixed again...

I already have rear springs and hangers from a 85 k5 blazer also have the transfercase from the same blazer I can also get the front end from it if needed or a dana 60

my questions are

when I buy a frame should I buy a 2wd frame or a 4wd frame which would be easier to do the swap

what else am I going to need for steering and such ive been looking over 88gmctruck's build 92 sierras build and dirtridinz71's just unsure whats needed

You must be registered for see images attach

95obschevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Get the 4x4 frame because the frame horns come out straight and you will have less problems mounting brackets etc. As for steering you will need a drop pitman arm and a cross over steering setup

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much lift and what size tires are you looking to go?

Like said you'll need a drop pitman arm, I used the superlift 1104 arm. A steering arm, draglink/tierod ends, if using a a d44 or corp need you will need a passenger flattop knuckle then get it machined flat, drilled and tapped for the steering arm. Extended brake lines will be needed. Rear lift of some sort a shackle flip would be the best way of course.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
Get the 4x4 frame because the frame horns come out straight and you will have less problems mounting brackets etc. As for steering you will need a drop pitman arm and a cross over steering setup

How much lift and what size tires are you looking to go?

Like said you'll need a drop pitman arm, I used the superlift 1104 arm. A steering arm, draglink/tierod ends, if using a a d44 or corp need you will need a passenger flattop knuckle then get it machined flat, drilled and tapped for the steering arm. Extended brake lines will be needed. Rear lift of some sort a shackle flip would be the best way of course.

thanks guys and prob 6 inch with 35s don't want to go to big because itll be hard enough getting a sticker with it solid axle swapped and what is a factory front axle in a 85 k5 blazer?

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
I do see one problem with this though. The t case from the 85 will not allow you to run your speedo. You will need a 87-91 or 92 full size blazer or suburban to get the pass side drop t case with electric vss.

badazzbulldog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just throwing it out there I was at the junkyard today and saw a 89 stepside regular cab mounted on a early 80's shortbed chassis looks like the only thing they modified was the 4 cab mounts and bed mounts

SCOTTYINWV

si vis pacem, para bellum
Reaction score
just throwing it out there I was at the junkyard today and saw a 89 stepside regular cab mounted on a early 80's shortbed chassis looks like the only thing they modified was the 4 cab mounts and bed mounts
You must take pictures when you go back!

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The front axle of the k5 will be a corp 10 bolt. Same axle from all 78-87 1/2 tons. You will need either matching d44 knuckles or buy an aftermarket flattop passenger side knuckle for the 10 bolt.
I priced getting a rcsb frame here and one from south Carolina was around $1000-1200.