solid axle swap questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
The front axle of the k5 will be a corp 10 bolt. Same axle from all 78-87 1/2 tons. You will need either matching d44 knuckles or buy an aftermarket flattop passenger side knuckle for the 10 bolt.
I priced getting a rcsb frame here and one from south Carolina was around $1000-1200.

ahhh ok and I found a frame for 400 supposed to be a A condition frame its in mass though

BiGUgly

Reaction score
Get the 4x4 frame because the frame horns come out straight and you will have less problems mounting brackets etc. As for steering you will need a drop pitman arm and a cross over steering setup

2wd frame is the same. ORD kit walks you through that and how their kit bolts right up the same. I'm planning on starting with a 2wd cause you hack it all out anyways.

98slv

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
2wd frame is the same. ORD kit walks you through that and how their kit bolts right up the same. I'm planning on starting with a 2wd cause you hack it all out anyways.

Frames are not the same, the frame horns on a 2wd truck point upward and you gotta make brackets to lower them. If not the springs will not have enough room and hit the frame and the spring buckets must be cut out and a patch welded into place. On a 4wd frame you just have to slot the front cross member to clear the springs for flex purposes.

dirtridinz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No can't seem to find a frame

If you want I can try and find the guys number around here that gets the southern truck parts here. He live near the St.Stephen/Calias border, I'm sure a dropoff elsewhere in Maine would be a little bit cheaper since no boarder fees ect. If like anything here in NB a decent frame worth buying is pretty much impossible.

LoudnLifted88

Small Block Grim Reaper
Reaction score
im thinking I would rather find a whole parts truck instead of just buying a frame so I can make some of my money back on selling parts and what no thanks though

IOWNJUNK

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
im thinking I would rather find a whole parts truck instead of just buying a frame so I can make some of my money back on selling parts and what no thanks though

Always the best way, as long as you have room.

BiGUgly

Reaction score
Frames are not the same, the frame horns on a 2wd truck point upward and you gotta make brackets to lower them. If not the springs will not have enough room and hit the frame and the spring buckets must be cut out and a patch welded into place. On a 4wd frame you just have to slot the front cross member to clear the springs for flex purposes.

You must be registered for see images

Ok.... 1500 frame same :) but we are both correct if you want to get technical