Skee's 97 K1500 Stepside build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Last edited:

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
And after the SAS, planning on going with some 8 lug Classics from Mickey Thompson. Havent decided on which ones, the Locks or the IIIs?

You must be registered for see images attach

I was thinking a Color Matched bead lock. With whatever color I end up choosing.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Not a real update, but I have got some stuff lined up for the SAS when I return this summer. I joined a club in Alaska called MatSu OHV, and I think I have a pair of 1 tons with 4.88s and Detroit lockers for the swap. D60 front and 14bff for the rear, which will make me all 8 luggy! Also have a TCase, some springs lined up, and hopefully a few pairs of skilled hands to tag along in the process to get it back on all wheels. If they are still there when I get back, it may be sitting on some 39.5 Pitbulls. I will keep you all updated!

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Welp ladies and gents.... Looks like the plans have changed again. But for the good. I have got a different rig lined up to purchase when I return home from a fellow military member. Its almost a twin to mine, Red Reg Cab Stepside. Its a 93, with the 305, 5 spd (Yesssss standard!) and already 90% done with the SAS. And I am picking it up for relatively cheap. Here are a few of the pics I have gotten, and mind you, these are the "in progress" shots. In some it still has the 1/2 ton axles, but it has been fully converted to D60s front and rear. Needs tidied up and finished (brakes, shaft, shocks, new wheels/tires, etc) but in the end will be cheaper than the swap on my truck, and will allow me to keep my truck a DD and not worry about breaking it on the trail.

Here are a few shots of the "new" truck...

Back when it was on 6" lift

During swap

How it sits now

There is quite a bit of stuff I will end up changing/fixing up (new bumper maybe, plastidip the whole truck (wanna keep it red like my DD) waterproof alot more stuff, fab some bars/sliders/protective gear, the ideas are definitely endless).

Now, the plans for the SAS are not thrown out the window on my 97, but it will be downsized some, and the truck will be kept my DD and made my tow pig for the new truck, and for whatever toys I pick up along the way.

Let me know what you guys think.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Sounds like a good plan. Your definitely going to save some money buying a truck already partially built, and having two rigs is always nice. If your going to regularly tow with your other truck, you'll either need to lower it down some or get way more power. Trust me. My trailer is about 6k and with the small block it didn't want to get out of its own way on 35s.

Sent from TBI 454 HTC Droid DNA

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Which would you recommend? Looking for more power or dropping it? I kinda like the 6" on 35s, but would 33s be enough of a drop? I'm definitely open to all opinions and options!

Sent from my 6.0 G8 Chase car in an "undisclosed location in SW Asia."

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
id powder coat em, if you back in ohio or close to me i could get em powder coated for cost of poweder or a few bucks if my guy has some spare of the color you want laying around.