Skee's 97 K1500 Stepside build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Now Its Halloween and the first real snow fell up here. And thats when I found out that my 4 wheel drive that I thought was working this whole time, wasn't. It was engaging the Transfer Case, but wasnt turning the front wheels. Turns out the actuator was out, as so many more go out (stupid thermal linears...). Which suck even more in Alaska since its so damn cold in the winter, so 4x4 takes a good minute or so to kick in. My 4x4 button would just flash at me like I was stupid.

What the button was doing:
You must be registered for see images attach

video I took to see if it worked, and it didnt of course.

It is definitely engaging the front wheels now, but it starts hopping after about 20mph. At this point it was too close to my deployment to do anything drastic to the truck so I decided I had enough 4 wheel drive to get me out of a ditch if I put it in one. It was fun to drive around in this big thing with only 2 wheel drive. I loaded about 300lbs of sandbags in the back and crossed my fingers.

Some snow poser shots:

Also pulled the worthless "mudflaps" that were on my truck. There is a mudflap law in Alaska but all these did were rub and pack in the ice behind the wheel to where I couldnt turn.

Then found a guy on CL selling HIDs, and picked up a set of 6k 35w lowbeams. I also rewired up my 4hi mod I had done previously but made my own harness this time to look cleaner.

Before:

On the wall difference:

After:

Then I got some nice lil gifts in the mail from chevychris and Quiksilver over on FSC.

Another poser with my Fiance for the photocontest on Facebook in OBSession:

And then the sad moment came... I had to find a storage unit big enough, but this is how she sits for the next, well, 5 months now.

As for when I get back, I am working on the plans of an SAS, maybe some Tows, different wheels, and possibly a 454 swap. I have SOOOO many plans for this truck, but it is put on hold for now. I know for sure its getting a new exhaust and rebuilding the front end again if I dont swap solid axle. And Possibly going to paint the truck as well. Havent decided what color or how but I have seen some two tones with black and red that would be cool.

Rough edit???

Something like this maybe?

With a blacked out front end such as this:

And also have some plans drawn up for a pre runner style front bumper. Kinda like this one

And I have a spoiler off an 07 that I was in the process of modding with an LED strip before I left. Like this one kind of.

And a cowl hood is definitely in the future.

Last edited:

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Looking good buddy! Congrats on the engagement!
PS, I actually really liked the look of the blue/red LED cluster. Pretty neat looking.

Hey, sorry I didnt see your post in the middle of all mine haha But thanks. It turned out pretty cool and I was going to try to divide it up and do a red, white, and blue cluster. But thats a project to do when I get back.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Subbing to see where this goes in 5 months :p I'm a sucker for a stepside.

Haha thanks. I am too. To be completely honest you will probably be a big help down the road when it comes to the SAS. And I have alot of plans for changes. And when I get home I will be updating the previous posts with more stuff that I have on the computer drive back home.

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As for when I get back, I am working on the plans of an SAS, maybe some Tows, different wheels, and possibly a 454 swap. I have SOOOO many plans for this truck, but it is put on hold for now. I know for sure its getting a new exhaust and rebuilding the front end again if I dont swap solid axle. And Possibly going to paint the truck as well. Havent decided what color or how but I have seen some two tones with black and red that would be cool.

Rough edit???

Something like this maybe?

i'm liking this alot actually, cant wait to see what you do with this when you get back.