'97 Suburban 1500 ressurection

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Martin Evans

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't mind my horrible welding job. it's functional, but not pretty! My little grinding wheel makes all the difference. Windshield is in. The roof is in primer and ready for more sanding/paint next.
You must be registered for see images attach
Did you stuff it with ramen first?

wezmykat

Reaction score
the roof on my suburban is a mixture of bondo, permatex rtv, electrical tape and rust paint, all of them are black so they blend in real nice. from 10 feet away you can't tell it from the real thing, hey, it keeps the moisture and from the inside you can't the difference

on the hood the rust holes have been filled with cotton and painted over about 10 times, multiple coats of quality paint over porous material hardens real good

on the body the holes are sometimes plates of metal that have been screwed over top and painted or several overlapping passes of black gorilla tape

the mirror casing was smashed good and the screws that hold it together from the inside broke the plastic, so I melted some holes by heating up a screwdriver with a torch then fished black zip ties through it and it's more or less back together, and it still folds and retained it's power remote adjustability!

gmt400 is one tough truck

RLC2020

Reaction score
It's back on the road again. Windshield frame is painted, not perfectly, but good enough from 5' away. The brand new exhaust system had a leak but now that's been fixed (new gasket after the cats). And while I was underneath it I decided to do the TCC Fixzall valve install. The converter would randomly not go into lockup every once in a while and after doing some research I found a PMW mod and the fixzall tcc valve and decided to do both. Total cost for that was $20 plus new trans filter/fluid/gasket. Well worth it! It locks up firmly now. I also cleaned the dust out of the interior. Next step will be a new drivers seat bottom cover. The interior is nearly mint other than the driver's seat so I want to get that fixed.

I did find that the frame/undercarriage is a little rustier than I would like it to be. Next time I get it up on the lift I'm going to wire wheel everything and POR-15 what I can. The rest of the truck looks so nice that it's worth the effort I think to do the undercarriage.

RLC2020

Reaction score
So, weird issue at the moment is when I come to a stop randomly the back tires will lock up in my gravel driveway. Only when it's cold and I'm moving it around the yard. After driving on the road it seems to be fine. Also, sometimes though it will "clunk" when letting off the brakes in traffic.

When I bought the truck the pedal was very mushy, I replaced the back wheel cylinders and also the brake adjusters/hardware. The pads were at about 80% so I reused those. The brake pedal is now firm again and the truck stops firmly. but it does have the clunk when letting off the brake and the rear brakes dragging a bit when I move it around my gravel driveway. Did I over adjust the rears and the shoes are sticking to the drum maybe? I've only put about 10 miles on it since I did the brake work so maybe it needs to brake in a little bit before I rip it all apart again.

I might just bite the bullet and replace everything. New drums/shoes/calipers/rotors/etc.

We are on the fence with either selling this truck or keeping it for my wife, her Explorer lease is up in Jan, I'd like her to drive this, but she thinks it might be too big for her to daily.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I first got WCJr running, the brakes would lock up in reverse. I pulled the rear brakes apart and found the wheel cylinders leaking. The shoes were new, so I cleaned them with rubbing alcohol and replaced the wheel cylinders.

As far as the clunk when you let off the brake, unbolt the driveshaft from the rear end. Check the condition of the splines inside the driveshaft and on the transmission tailshaft. You can likely clean it up and smear a little grease around the inside of the splines and work it back and forth on the transmission tailshaft. <Insert 8th grade humor here> Once the grease is distributed and the splines are cleaned up it should eliminate the clunk.

RLC2020

Reaction score
When I first got WCJr running, the brakes would lock up in reverse. I pulled the rear brakes apart and found the wheel cylinders leaking. The shoes were new, so I cleaned them with rubbing alcohol and replaced the wheel cylinders.

As far as the clunk when you let off the brake, unbolt the driveshaft from the rear end. Check the condition of the splines inside the driveshaft and on the transmission tailshaft. You can likely clean it up and smear a little grease around the inside of the splines and work it back and forth on the transmission tailshaft. <Insert 8th grade humor here> Once the grease is distributed and the splines are cleaned up it should eliminate the clunk.
I hadn't thought of the driveshaft, I'll check that out this weekend. thank you for that suggestion.
I will also pull apart the drums again and see if anything is leaking in there.

Trio

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
New Dextero all terrains and freshly painted rims:

Fresh tires and wheel paint made a big difference

Nice of the wrench monkeys at Walmart to install wheel weights on the outside edge of your newly painted wheels. :mad:. A big peeve of mine, not that much effort required to mount the weights inside the wheels. Or use stick-on weights.

Great progress on the Burb, looking forward to more updates. Love the blue interior. :cheers: