Combine: 1. Suburban: 0

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well my wife finished off the Yak in grand fashion. She rear ended a combine. Fortunately, she is ok - with the exception of her left hand. Nothing a couple hours of surgery couldn’t fix. The farmer and the combine walked away too. And he was able to bring in his crops. He was also a paramedic. So my wife was in good hands before the emergency squad arrived. For all of this I’m thankful today.

The pictures may not look like a “total”, but the cowl, firewall, and dash, are pushed in about 6 inches. It’s at my friend’s bodyshop. He knows how much I loved it - but he has pronounced it DOA.

If you can picture the rear of JD combine. The downward angle compressed the burb, kind of acting like an attenuator, rapidly slowing the burb. But before the rear of the combine could enter the passenger compartment the frame contacted the rear axle of the combine. All of this is responsible for saving her life and giving it the “appearance“ of being repairable.

So now it’s time to go Suburban shopping. I would like your input.

The 99 had some things going for it; love the looks, leaf springs, easy to work on, parts available from a vending machine. We used it as an RV. There is nowhere we can go that it can’t be repaired. If the parts aren’t on the shelf - they are only a day way.

Since we used it as an RV, the Yak‘s drivetrain has been rebuilt with the exception of the engine. The leather is in great shape, either factory covers or original. So, I would only need a suburban with: 1) less that 200k 2) decent or repairable paint 3) no rust - I will be shopping northern Cal, Washington and Oregon 4) grey interior that hasn't been hammered on (new carpet is not an issue).

On the other hand the GMT 400 had under engineered brakes. Wasn’t exactly like floating on air. Poor fuel economy. The whole blend door issue in the center of the dash that will have to be addressed eventually on all of them. There are probably a few more that I’m forgetting in my grief.

I had a 2001 GMT 800 truck. It was a great riding truck. The 5.3 was a great engine. So I’m considering a 00-06 suburban. The cons are they harder find with low miles. Seems they are all north of 200k. I don’t have an extra rebuilt trans laying around, or will the 99 L60 Work in the GMT-800? Brakes and body roll are better - but far from great. Am I missing anything pros or cons? How about a nice 3/4 ton with a 6.0?

And then there is 07-??. It seems like one can be purchased for less than $15k with less than 200k miles. I have heard they are junk. Is this the case? Can you work on them or is it always the repair shop. Are they comfortable to drive? What is the big ticket item that likes to fail? Any input/advice here would be appreciated….

Anyway, I’m not a Facebooker so marketplace is not an option, so it’s Craigslist or tips. If you're in the northwest and there is a nice one for sale around the corner please let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_2814.jpeg
    IMG_2814.jpeg
    250.9 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_5728.jpeg
    IMG_5728.jpeg
    381.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_5729.jpeg
    IMG_5729.jpeg
    414.8 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
It sucks that your Sub was wrecked, but at least no one was hurt. If you are going to continue to use your vehicle as an RV and stay with the GMT400 series I would suggest moving up to a 2500 . You get bigger brakes, stronger trans, stronger diffs. every thing else would be pretty much the same

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1st- thankfully the wife is ok.
2nd- I'd echo the "look for a 2500" comment.
3rd- I've seen more rust issues with the gmt800 than the 400 platform. Yeah, they sure are nice... when they work. But you already know the 400 platform and it's quirks/weaknesses. Plus, you've got a parts vehicle.
I hope you stay gmt400, but look favorably toward the 2500. Best of luck on the search!

618 Syndicate

You won't...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
800's have worse rust issues than 400's. My 05 Yukon is rusty af, runs and drives great, heater and heated seats are awesome, but the rockers are gone.
Glad the wife is only minimally injured.

Spareparts

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I now have a 2001 K2500 suburban. 180K, 6.0, 4L80E.
Runs great, Rust free. Does not use any oil. It had a few things wrong when i bought it, but i have spent under $300 fixing it all. Parts are available anyplace.
The GMT800 is a small upgrade over a GMT400. Little secret, Here in the PNW rust is really a non issue. People compline about how the stuff they put on the roads causes all the rusted cars/truck. Not true really. There are FAR more rust free vehicles around here then rusty.
If you have a good running rust free, good interior GMT400, keep it. If you want/need a newer suburban, a GMT800 is a small upgrade.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
First off, I'm glad the wife is ok. That is the absolute most important part. The truck can be replaced, people can't.

Second, I also vote K2500 Burb. They ride great for a 3/4 ton, bigger better brakes, you have some parts readily available with your KIA Burb.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Another vote for the K2500. At least there's plenty of them out there to choose from. I wanted a C2500 Suburban and they're far less common, compounded further by my desire to really only look at 1992-1994's with the 7.4. I found some really beat ones, and a couple that looked OK but had the 5.7.

GMT800's might seem like a minor upgrade but to me the extra complexity of repair isn't worth it. That's coming from someone with two Silverado SS's in the driveway. I'm always working on these trucks and some of the designs on this stuff just straight piss a guy off to work on. They're definitely engineered more throwaway stuff into them, IMO.

Richard

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll also vote in favor of a GMT400 2500. After that, I'd consider any GMT800 with a 4L80.

And then there is 07-??. It seems like one can be purchased for less than $15k with less than 200k miles. I have heard they are junk. Is this the case? Can you work on them or is it always the repair shop. Are they comfortable to drive? What is the big ticket item that likes to fail? Any input/advice here would be appreciated….
All the light duty GMT900s either need a new $9000 transmission or have already bit that bullet. How well do you trust a rebuild? The 6L80s are more reliable, but they aren't 4L80 reliable.

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thank you all for your replies and thanks for the well wishes for my wife.

When I was shopping for the Yak back in ‘14, I just couldn’t find a GMT-400 3/4 ton with a 5.7L. The 454 is just too much fuel wise. I‘m the guy that keeps shopping even after I buy it and I can’t remember seeing a clean K2500 with a 5.7l for sale. I’m picturing some guy out in the middle of nowhere with rows of them. He’s the same guy that has all the pens…:).

With that said, can you take big block to a small block with minimal modification? I’d like to avoid customization or idiosyncrasies to the point that some else can’t work on it or it becomes unreliable. I pose the same question for the GMT-800.

My strategy moving forward is the shotgun approach. I’ll look for all 3. If I find a clean k1500 with a grey interior 1st, I’ll buy it and keep looking for a 3/4 ton GMT400 and 800 and buy it too and vice-versa. What the heck we’re not talking about hemi four speeds, right? I drive a k2500 pick up and impala beater. What’s the difference if I bought a late model used truck for $30k or stack some nice 90’s iron deep? I’m not getting any younger and they tell me I cant take it with me……….

I miss the burb already. It was garage kept, well maintained, “Krowned” annually, and ready to drive across the country at a moment’s notice (and over pack in the process).

Thanks again for the input.

99Yak

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It sucks that your Sub was wrecked, but at least no one was hurt. If you are going to continue to use your vehicle as an RV and stay with the GMT400 series I would suggest moving up to a 2500 . You get bigger brakes, stronger trans, stronger diffs. every thing else would be pretty much the same
I have two K2500 trucks (winter and summer) so a K2500 burb would fit very well parts and maintenance wise.