Skee's 97 K1500 Stepside build thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
The 97 is going to become my DD/tow pig for the 93. With a mild SAS later down the road. Might play in it a little bit but wont be rough housing it too much. The 400 is only a 3spd, right?

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
duh yes it is. im not gonna act like im a genius of transmissions right now. ive had two 700r4s, a 200r4, th400, 4l60e and that was it, the only ones ive messed with were the 700r4 adding a manual valve body and my 4l60e.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Yeah. If I could get all the components for the swap cheap I would love to tackle the auto-manual swap. The crossmember is actually on the TCase, not the tranny though, right? Ive read so many threads my head is spinning.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
there should be a crossmember for both. the blazer frame i have laying in the back yard has the sm465? corssmember and then the np203 tcase crossmember right behind it.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Hmmm... The picture under 88's truck only has one on the tail of the tranny and none for the Tcase. I never really paid attention that much when I was under mine.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
Hey Michael since you been studying SAS like crazy got any links to the most helpful info you've gotten? :cool:

Shoot Mike, I didnt see you comment before Tylers. My bad man. But I do have alot of threads saved that I thought were helpful. Depending on what route you wanna take though, as there are a few different ways you can go. (Ford HP44, D60, GM axles, ect.) I did find 88GMCtrucks and DirtRidinZ71's to be some of the most helpful though. And Im sure anyone would be glad to answer any questions you have. I cant speak for it, because I havent actually been through the swap yet to know how much they helped

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?12080-DirtridinZ71-Budget-SAS-Build

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...lid-Axle-Swap-Build&highlight=solid+axle+swap

That TH400 will hold up to some serious power, can be built for 500-600hp fairly cheap too

Thats what I hear, but I also hear its a nightmare to get them to work right, especially since my truck has a fully electric controlled transmission. I have yet to find a decent thread on the swap that didnt make me more confused than at the start.

94Sierra4x4

All out OBS.
Reaction score
Shoot Mike, I didnt see you comment before Tylers. My bad man. But I do have alot of threads saved that I thought were helpful. Depending on what route you wanna take though, as there are a few different ways you can go. (Ford HP44, D60, GM axles, ect.) I did find 88GMCtrucks and DirtRidinZ71's to be some of the most helpful though. And Im sure anyone would be glad to answer any questions you have. I cant speak for it, because I havent actually been through the swap yet to know how much they helped

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthread.php?12080-DirtridinZ71-Budget-SAS-Build

http://www.gmt400.com/forum/showthr...lid-Axle-Swap-Build&highlight=solid+axle+swap

Thats what I hear, but I also hear its a nightmare to get them to work right, especially since my truck has a fully electric controlled transmission. I have yet to find a decent thread on the swap that didnt make me more confused than at the start.
You can tune out the automatic completely, I am fairly confident in that statement

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
I think in the end if I am going to go through the pain and swap transmissions, I might as well make myself happy and go with the manual? Depending on how hard they are to find up here in AK, I could always sell the 400 and pick up a good NV4000.

TylerZ281500

Yukon Ridin High
Reaction score
400s can be built for good power cheap, i have many freinds using them behind 700-800hp lsx's bbc's sbc's etc. great for offraoding, drag racing, very versitile trans yet not so good for towing or economy.