Seals to do while its out

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, im doing a 4l80e swap in my 95 because the 4l60e died.

While i have the used 4l80e laying on the floor, what seals should i do? Any other maintenance or checks?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the tranny? Probably the front main seal? I don't know that guys actually do that when they swap them?

On the engine, probably the rear main seal. I think this is more prone to leak than the above.

Then there's the guys that think if stuff ain't leaking don't mess with it...

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Transmission rear seal is a fifteen minute job. I wouldn't bother if it's not leaking.

Front seal... it's a judgement call. How did the fluid in the transmission's pan look? If it was ugly, replace that seal. If it looked fresh, I'd run it.

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Little grubby on the fluid, but not burnt.

Whole trans is caked in ****. So i ASSUMED putting some fresh seals was a common thing. Fluid and filter are s guarentee as well.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Caked in junk and the fluid wasn't pristine? Yeah, I'd probably throw the seals on it, and I'm a cheapskate.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What seals are there that are accessible from the outside, or with the pan off?

Transmissions in general:
Torque converter hub seal.
Dipstick tube seal. Check dipstick tube for cracks.
Modulator O-ring. Not applicable on 4L80E
Kickdown or TV cable seal. Not applicable on 4L80E
Bulkhead wire-harness connector seal(s)
Output shaft seal
--probably with at least an inspection/cleaning of output shaft bushing and driveshaft U-joint yoke. This may lead to replacing the tailshaft housing seal, if the housing comes off to install a fresh bushing.
Manual shaft (shift shaft) seal
Speedo gear/VSS seal(s)
Pan gasket

If I had a trans sitting on the ground waiting to be installed, it'd take quite a bit of will-power to not install a Transgo shift kit while the pan was off.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Then there's the guys that think if stuff ain't leaking don't mess with it...

Hey, that's me! :lol:

The 4L80E I swapped into my red truck came out of a junkyard C3500 with 300K+ miles on the odometer, similarly caked in crap. Slapped it in the truck as-is and it's doing just fine.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know if the 4L80s have the wiring harness issues that 4L60s have, but if so you'll probably want to replace the wiring harness now.

dusterbd13

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Good call all yall! Anyone have a link to a seal kit for cheap? Trying to find this stuff by individual seal on rockauto is maddening.