95 4L80e swap to 95 NV4500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94Swap

Reaction score
Hi all, I am in a fairly unique predicament to make my tow pig into a better tow pig.

My tow pig is a 1995 K2500, equipped with a firebreathing TBI 350, 4L80e, 4.10 gearing and 37" tires.

Needless to say its a dog, and the transmission isnt seeing the wheel speed it should because of the tires so overdrive is a dream unfortunately. Towing with this setup is a lesson in patience - I know I need to go down on the tire size but 35s are more expensive than my 37s.

I digress. I happen to have another 1995 K2500 in my possession that was at one time a 6.5td nv4500 setup. It still is, but it doesnt have the 6.5 anymore, turns out they sell quickly when the starter bolts havent broken the block. The truck itself is far beyond saving mainly due to the wiring harness butchery and some underhood fuse panel being half melted. Ive started parting it out. The transmission is about 10 minutes from being on the floor, it is literally being suspended with a ratchet strap right now. I have a good set of pedals, I have the clutch master, clutch slave, transmission, transfer case, hydro line, everything is there.

What are the differences I would likely run into doing this swap? I LS swapped a 94 a couple years ago that was the same 6.5/4500 setup and that truck towed beautifully. I'm a 10 year professional mechanic, I can turn a bolt or two, but I havent done this particular swap before and don't want to piss around with little things like I did on the LS swap. I know its been done before, ideally I would like to have this done in a weekend with a buddy, but it isnt my daily driver so it isnt the end of the world if not.

The things I can think of:
I need-

A 350 flywheel and clutch
Flywheel bolts
Possibly a front and rear driveline (Im assuming there's differences in transmission setup lengths that wont play nice)
The bellhousing should be identical, I would think.
What other piddly things might I need or need to know?

ol_reliable99

Reaction score
Hey 94Swap,

I did the exact same thing as your current project on My 99 2 door Tahoe. Let me see if i can remember what was needed for the whole conversion and help you out.

I swapped out the 4l60e auto transmission and np246 autotrac for a 95 NV4500 with the external slave and the NP241c manual transfer case and everything was basically was a bolt on swap I manage to get done in about a weekend. the length of the NV4500 and NP241c together were the exact same length as the automatic with the transfer case, So i didn't need to order a custom length driveshaft. I did however need a different front driveshaft for the 4x4 since it was a slip yoke, and the manual t-case was a flanged type collapsible driveshaft. The crossmember was not altered since the transmission mount just dropped in and bolted right up.

The things you will need are

ARP Bellhousing bolts for a 350 chevy - My preference
ARP Flywheel bolts
ARP clutch bolts
95 chevy 350 Flywheel
Oem Pilot bearing - Most important
95 chevy complete clutch set with a throwout bearing
A new NV4500 clutch fork
A new NV4500 clutch fork pivot ball
A new NV4500 External slave cylinder
This is optional, a steel braided clutch line instead of the plastic clutch line
Optional, new transmission to transfer case gasket, Or RTV
Optional, while the transmission is out of the engine would be a good time to change out the rear main seal

For the most part, This is what is mostly needed to complete the swap

Wiring the clutch switch properly to start the engine was simple in my build. you will need to run the wires from pin A and B from the clutch pedal safety switch, to the original park/neutral position switch. Pin A on the clutch safety switch will connect to Pin G on the park/neutral position switch and Pin B on the clutch pedal safety switch will connect to Pin E on the park/neutral switch. To wire up the back up lights, You will need to wire Pin C on the park/neutral position switch to Pin A on the reverse pigtail, and Pin F from the park/neutral position switch to Pin B on the pigtail. I haven't wired in my cruise control wires yet, But for the most part this should start the engine

Since your truck is a 95 TBI, I don't know what codes the computer will throw but should run and drive fine. My 99 2 door Tahoe started right up and is running and driving fine without even needing a tune from the PCM apart from CEL throwing the old auto transmission codes. I may get the engine tuned in the future as soon as I swap out the old black box to a 0411 PCM.

So this is how I completed the swap on my truck. If I remember any more info on the swap I will update. Hope your swap goes good

Attachments

• Park neutral position switch pinout.png
    Park neutral position switch pinout.png
    101.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Clutch pedal safety switch.jpg
    Clutch pedal safety switch.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 3
  • reverse switch on tranny.JPG
    reverse switch on tranny.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 3