NV4500 to 4L80E swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
My setup is a 2wd '96 3500. I know I need to get a flex plate, but the trans shop that's rebuilding the 4L80E, had a book showing that I may be able to use the torque convertor, from the 454 setup, with my 350. The book showed 2 for the 350, low stall, and high stall, and just one for the 454, low stall.

What's the easiest way to electronically control the transmission?

Is there anything else I may run into?

Should also mention, I plan the get the column out of the donor truck as well, so I'll have the shifter, and cable. Swapping the brake pedal too.

Searching online shows a lot of people swapping the other way, but not much going to auto.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
What's the easiest way to electronically control the transmission?

Being a '96, your factory PCM should be able to do that I'd think. I have no idea how you'd do the appropriate segment swap or whatever is required in JET DST (the only tuning software compatible with the '96-'97 black box PCMs to my knowledge) but I imagine it must be possible.

Black Bear Performance tuned my red '97 to control a 4L80E after I blew up the second 4L60E, you might ask them.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Emailed Black Bear. They said they can tune my PCM, or the one from the parts truck, to run the trans, for $325+shipping.

So then I need to figure out the wiring, which is what worries me the most.