4L80E Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RacerM95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, as a few of you know my kid went for a road trip to Wisconsin (8hrs 45mins away) to pick up parts. Well 20 mins from his destination, the NV4500 trans went bang, (or so they thought) Truck and the kid finally got home at 2ish am this morning after my buddy went to get them with a truck and trailer.... I got a look underneath, seems the bell housing shattered. Now to my question. I have a 91-92 4L80E automatic (complete parts truck to be honest) I can grab everything but the driveshaft out of it, Will that work in the 94 ? Both Trucks have 6.5 Turbo diesels (parts truck was supposed to be a 6.2 it died) All the parts searching i have done says 94 is a 1 year only trans. Does any one know the differences ? Any help would be appreciated.
As I said I have a parts truck, so i can sit them side by side and swap everything over, wiring,TCM, everything but front half of driveshaft even the Steering column for the shift lever AND tilt :) Again any insight into this swap would be appreciated.

Thank You in advance !!

P.S. Yes I know it is sacrilege to swap away from a manual box

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, as a few of you know my kid went for a road trip to Wisconsin (8hrs 45mins away) to pick up parts. Well 20 mins from his destination, the NV4500 trans went bang, (or so they thought) Truck and the kid finally got home at 2ish am this morning after my buddy went to get them with a truck and trailer.... I got a look underneath, seems the bell housing shattered. Now to my question. I have a 91-92 4L80E automatic (complete parts truck to be honest) I can grab everything but the driveshaft out of it, Will that work in the 94 ? Both Trucks have 6.5 Turbo diesels (parts truck was supposed to be a 6.2 it died) All the parts searching i have done says 94 is a 1 year only trans. Does any one know the differences ? Any help would be appreciated.
As I said I have a parts truck, so i can sit them side by side and swap everything over, wiring,TCM, everything but front half of driveshaft even the Steering column for the shift lever AND tilt :) Again any insight into this swap would be appreciated.

Thank You in advance !!

P.S. Yes I know it is sacrilege to swap away from a manual box
If you're able to swap literally everything over from your 1992 parts truck with the trans that's in there (harness, PCM, etc) it should work in your 94. As far as the transmission is concerned, it's talking to a 1991-93 computer and that's all it cares about.

1994 is a stand alone year for the 4L80E as GM eliminated a 'cleaning cycle' associated with the electronic pressure control solenoid (EPC) so this required changes to the EPC, trans wiring harness, accumulator housing (eliminated the torque signal compensator valve which played a role in the aforementioned EPC cleaning cycle), spacer plate and valve body.

Additionally, 1994 cases had no mounting provisions for the manual lever position sensor that was installed onto the selector shaft on the outside of the transmission starting in 1995. I believe they also changed the TCM in 94+ as well...As if that wasn't enough, the 1991-1993 4x4 4L80Es had three functional speed sensors (two in the transmission and one in the t-case which serves as the VSS)...GM did away with the output speed sensor for 4WD 4L80Es starting in 1994 and thus the rear planet no longer had the reluctor gear installed for the output speed sensor in the 94+ 4x4 units...The transfer case speed sensor continued to provide vehicle speed information to the PCM as it does in other 4x4 applications across GM's product line. The 1994+ 4L80E 4WD units had a 'dummy' plug with the same o-ring found on the speed sensors in that rear speed sensor location.

Last edited:

RacerM95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Nick; Ive looked at a couple of the stand alone controllers out there, They mention changing the inner harness (to 93 up) and the Pressure control Solenoid (94 up GM #8684216) should I do these changes ? Even if I decide to stay with the stock tcm ?