4L80E to TR400 Trans swap 1995 Chevy P30 chassis motorhome

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wulfdan

Reaction score
My guess is somebody tried to launch the rocket, causing the damage. Question is why put a rocket or missile under the valve cover. I could think of many better locations on the vehicle to install such a system.

Damn meth heads...
Well played, autocorrect typos are awesome. Seriously though, there was a rocker totally off its mount. The thing would crank and idle even with all that damage. Cam looks ok from what I can see. There was a lifter just sitting in the valley on the opposite side from the photo. It’s the most carnage I’ve seen personally. Now I’ve seen some tear downs on YouTube of blown motors that are just scary.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’m not sure what happened to it. I’ve never actually driven this thing on road. There was a rocket just hanging around under one of the valve covers, but I don’t know if that’s a cause or a result.
I'm assuming you meant rocker arm or you live in the desert and the picture below is your neighbor.
You must be registered for see images attach

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well played, autocorrect typos are awesome. Seriously though, there was a rocker totally off its mount. The thing would crank and idle even with all that damage. Cam looks ok from what I can see. There was a lifter just sitting in the valley on the opposite side from the photo. It’s the most carnage I’ve seen personally. Now I’ve seen some tear downs on YouTube of blown motors that are just scary.
Yep, I have to read my stuff multiple times to catch them all and some still slip through...I just thought that was funny and, based on some of the things I've seen out in the middle of the desert, wouldnt be surprised in the least about what meth addicts would do to vehicles...sucks, sorry to see that.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those pushrods, are the mated lifters damaged. It makes me want to pull the lifters and disassemble them. I would also like to borscope the piston from the spark hole.
Is there a suspect cause to malady?

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another vote to leave the 4L80E trans in place and swap only the engine out. Keep the TR-400 for later and consider swapping it in if the trans has an issue down the road.