trying not to scrap it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
TL;DR I'm not familiar with the acronym "sped mode" what does that stand for?
Well, sped stands for special ed, however, there is nothing against people with disabilities, especially in this case. Usually when someone calls someone sped, it's someone who is not actually mentally disabled. It's like retarded. When any one of us calls something or someone retarded, we're not referring to or comparing them to someone who has, say Down's Syndrome. Since there's all the stigmatism these days around the word retarded, sped is essentially this generation's version.

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
after some long highway driving, ive come to this;

when the truck goes into "sped mode" it only happens when i first start the truck, or after it idles too long, at a stop light, warm up, or if i go into a store to grab a drink and leave it running. now if i drive it enough in sped mode itll eventually snap out of it. and i mean that, snap out of it. not gradual. once i floor it a few times it goes back to normal. now, wile in sped mode its dumping fuel, like crazy. i lose between 1/8 to 1/4 of a tank everytime it does it. and i can smell raw fuel in the cab with the windows up, its bad, so bad.

so, with this, i think imma try and swap from MPFI to port injection. if anyones interested, i can show my process here, or i may start a build thread, who knows what else imma do to this thing once it runs right. but i dont trust standard parts, and im not putting another spider in this damn engine. 5 spiders in six months? insanity.
Oh man, that is a LOT of fuel, I hope you're not washing the cylinder walls. That is really weird, I'm struggling to think of a decent cause for that.

Yeah, that CSFI that it comes with seems to have issues more often than not, MPFI is certainly better. I still prefer a carb, but that's not really useful on these trucks haha. Yeah, absolutely start a build thread, I'd love to see it and I'm sure others would too. Yeah no, don't even bother with the spiders, that's an insane amount.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, sped stands for special ed, however, there is nothing against people with disabilities, especially in this case. Usually when someone calls someone sped, it's someone who is not actually mentally disabled. It's like retarded. When any one of us calls something or someone retarded, we're not referring to or comparing them to someone who has, say Down's Syndrome. Since there's all the stigmatism these days around the word retarded, sped is essentially this generation's version.

Hey, I just learned something today. I kept thinking that this was some sort of typo.
But in reality it's the same as when @thinger2 uses the word chucklehead.
And years ago in the computer lab you didn't want be referred to as a NOP. (Pronounced No-Op,
referring to the No Operation machine instruction that did exactly that.)

Funny how every generation manages to come up with some slang referring to someone capable of
much better yet insisting on performing at the underachiever level.

My favorite is still chucklehead. One of my mentors used to use that on me occasionally when I
had gone out of my way to earn that accolade.

:0)

Attachments

• NOP - dec  pdp11  PDP-11 Programming Card Jul75  (arrows) Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming...jpg
    NOP - dec pdp11 PDP-11 Programming Card Jul75 (arrows) Free Download, Borrow, and Streaming...jpg
    322.7 KB · Views: 8
  • pdp-1174Xopen.jpg
    pdp-1174Xopen.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey, I just learned something today. I kept thinking that this was some sort of typo.
But in reality it's the same as when thinger2 uses the word chucklehead.
And years ago in the computer lab you didn't want be referred to as a NOP. (Pronounced No-Op,
referring to the No Operation machine instruction that did exactly that.)

Funny how every generation manages to come up with some slang referring to someone capable of
much better yet insisting on performing at the underachiever level.

My favorite is still chucklehead. One of my mentors used to use that on me occasionally when I
had gone out of my way to earn that accolade.

:0)
That's a very eloquent way to say it.

My favorite teacher says that sometimes, never fails to make me die laughing.

Learn somethin new every day, that's the way I like it!

drifterwanb666

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, you're calling your truck sped? Just advance the timing and send it. :lol:

Here's some of the definitions we normally use, FYI

It's hard enough troubleshooting long distance, it's worse when there's confusing descriptions...
sorry for the confusion! haha, yeah retarded, goofy, muffed up, whatever you wanna call it.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
unless it has a Specific NEED for a Hi-Volume oil pump; Don't !
OE L31 (& L30 305 & L35 V6) have improved M155 repeat M155 pump having larger 3/4" OD pickup tube.

*just saying ...of course the pump ain't causing drivability issues ... but installing HV pump is rarely a good idea ... lotsa monkey see-monkey do.