trying not to scrap it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drifterwanb666

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Kinda stuck at lapped valves being referred to as remanned head's, and leaking shaft seals.? Sometimes you gotta get to the basics that the engine is in mechanically sound shape. Most of these heads I've been in needed all new exhausts at minimum if they weren't already cracked, and leaking shaft seals can be a very random intermittent issue.
thats my bad, the oe heads were lapped and re sealed, but i put too strong of a valve spring on and broke a stud, so i got a set of remanned from CHI.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Blackbear can do some good tuning but on a combo like yours you really need data to work from. I would be looking at a 0411 swap and or getting a local tuner to tune it in person.

drifterwanb666

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blackbear can do some good tuning but on a combo like yours you really need data to work from. I would be looking at a 0411 swap and or getting a local tuner to tune it in person.
0411 swap it is, cause no one locally wants to even look at the blackbox. i can order one affordably, thanks to the internet. ill have to do some research onnit, find a thread and such.

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
0411 swap it is, cause no one locally wants to even look at the blackbox. i can order one affordably, thanks to the internet. ill have to do some research onnit, find a thread and such.
Do you have any interest in being able to tune yourself? I was looking at getting a Blackbear tune for my truck, but decided to get a tuner for almost the same price. The benefits I see to that are that I'm able to tune whenever and for whatever other things I do to the truck, and beyond the initial cost of the tuner, there's no future cost. That being said, 0411 is a great upgrade that'll open up a lot more tunability, and if you don't wanna deal with tuning yourself, go ahead with it!

drifterwanb666

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What things did you ask them to adjust? Ok, that's good. (Ouch!) At that point it's almost worth converting to MPFI!
i asked to change the shift profile, delete egr, delete rear 02s, adjust the fuel for the cam, and see if they could disable air bags and adjust for the speedo for my tire size. airbag lights still on and speedo is still 10mph off but the rest seems to be okay,

drifterwanb666

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have upgraded fuel injection or original style poppet injection ?
its the updated unit. standard is the only part i could i could get my hands on, still was almost $500
What things did you ask them to adjust? Ok, that's good. (Ouch!) At that point it's almost worth converting to MPFI!
and funny you say converting cause im already looking to do so, i need it to run in the meantime to make money to buy the stuff to convert,

drifterwanb666

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
i will say that after driving it home last night and to work today, it seems to be getting better, ish.

still wont idle and still stays at 2000rpm until i full stop and then acts stupid.

drifterwanb666

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Do you have any interest in being able to tune yourself? I was looking at getting a Blackbear tune for my truck, but decided to get a tuner for almost the same price. The benefits I see to that are that I'm able to tune whenever and for whatever other things I do to the truck, and beyond the initial cost of the tuner, there's no future cost. That being said, 0411 is a great upgrade that'll open up a lot more tunability, and if you don't wanna deal with tuning yourself, go ahead with it!
ive got a buddy with HP tuners thats willing to look, but i went commercial with the tune just cause, well, theyve done it before. now that i have a baseline from blackbear i can have it tickled, perse. just more time is all i need, and a billion dollars.