I'm considering doing a 10 % a$$ job.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I will definitely do more than that. I am at least above the straining chunks out and putting it back in the tranny. Of course it get recycled as bar oil for a chainsaw...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Cuz that stuff ain't cheap. And I have some flushes in my future. And A LOT more trees to keel over and process.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen more YouTube videos than I care to admit to but it seems like I have the tools to make this tranny work better than if it was built by Mickey Mouse and his Disney crew of friends so I intend to put a full effort into it with a budget intent.

That being said, I have a question for @NickTransmissions and anyone else who chooses to answer. The first gear shift holds for a really long time (25+mph) before I have to let off of the throttle slightly to let is skip second and go straight to third. Is this a normal symptom with the 2-4 band damage or do I need to be looking at something else?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I've seen more YouTube videos than I care to admit to but it seems like I have the tools to make this tranny work better than if it was built by Mickey Mouse and his Disney crew of friends so I intend to put a full effort into it with a budget intent.

That being said, I have a question for @NickTransmissions and anyone else who chooses to answer. The first gear shift holds for a really long time (25+mph) before I have to let off of the throttle slightly to let is skip second and go straight to third. Is this a normal symptom with the 2-4 band damage or do I need to be looking at something else?

This is what I did when I lost the band. I had to run 1st up high enough to get it to hit 3rd. Ran the truck that way for a while, I was a broke teenager.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Re-read your post again and deleted my previous response as it wasn't correct; I initially misinterpreted the above...Having to let off so that you can shift indicates worn/burnt applied elements. In your case, you're actually shifting into second but neutral until you make the shift into third. What's happening is the servo is applying the band and the band is being held onto the reverse input drum but the drum is free-wheeling instead of being arrested so you can achieve a mechanical shift into 2nd gear from first.

You can check the servo to see if there's a pinched sealing ring or O-ring but if the servo's in good shape more than likely your band is shot.

Let me know if you plan on tackling the rebuild yourself and I can try to help you out w/parts selection as well as tear down/inspection, prep and assembly procedures.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Re-read your post again and deleted my previous response as it wasn't correct; I initially misinterpreted the above...Having to let off so that you can shift indicates worn/burnt applied elements. In your case, you're actually shifting into second but neutral until you make the shift into third. What's happening is the servo is applying the band and the band is being held onto the reverse input drum but the drum is free-wheeling instead of being arrested so you can achieve a mechanical shift into 2nd gear from first.

You can check the servo to see if there's a pinched sealing ring or O-ring but if the servo's in good shape more than likely your band is shot.

Let me know if you plan on tackling the rebuild yourself and I can try to help you out w/parts selection as well as tear down/inspection, prep and assembly procedures.
I'll definitely be doing it myself in the next couple of months. The best price that I found for a bench job was 23-2600.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll definitely be doing it myself in the next couple of months. The best price that I found for a bench job was 23-2600.
Sounds good...those prices are high relative to here but every market is different. I'd like to think the usual upgrades would be included in that price (Shift kit, vette servo, Sonnax tv plunger/sleeve kit, larger ratio boost/reverse boost valve, late model bonded steel/rubber pistons, dual feed converter clutch capsule in the input shaft, viton seal in the input-output shaft junction, etc).

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds good...those prices are high relative to here but every market is different. I'd like to think the usual upgrades would be included in that price (Shift kit, vette servo, Sonnax tv plunger/sleeve kit, larger ratio boost/reverse boost valve, late model bonded steel/rubber pistons, dual feed converter clutch capsule in the input shaft, viton seal in the input-output shaft junction, etc).
I asked for a basic rebuild. One of the other quotes was starting at $3600! If I'm looking at negative dollars in a years worth of occasional use, then I'd send this down the road. I'm not willing to put more into the tranny than the truck is worth.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I asked for a basic rebuild. One of the other quotes was starting at $3600! If I'm looking at negative dollars in a years worth of occasional use, then I'd send this down the road. I'm not willing to put more into the tranny than the truck is worth.

That sounds like the "I don't do bench builds" price.