trying not to scrap it...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drifterwanb666

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
unless it has a Specific NEED for a Hi-Volume oil pump; Don't !
OE L31 (& L30 305 & L35 V6) have improved M155 repeat M155 pump having larger 3/4" OD pickup tube.

*just saying ...of course the pump ain't causing drivability issues ... but installing HV pump is rarely a good idea ... lotsa monkey see-monkey do.
Technically it did, i mean i swapped the cam but not the cam bearings, and lost 10psi of oil pressure. And my pump was pretty wore out after i swapped it, it was ran dry a few times it seemed, galled and the gears didnt really mesh well.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Technically it did, i mean i swapped the cam but not the cam bearings, and lost 10psi of oil pressure. And my pump was pretty wore out after i swapped it, it was ran dry a few times it seemed, galled and the gears didnt really mesh well.

Seems the NEED was for new bearings; cam/main/rod; if cam bearings bad, others probably not far behind.
Once pump was inspected and showing damage; time for a new Standard volume pump.
Shoving a HV pump in a wore out motor is a used car dealer band-aid ... or true desert-survival mode.

drifterwanb666

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Seems the NEED was for new bearings; cam/main/rod; if cam bearings bad, others probably not far behind.
Once pump was inspected and showing damage; time for a new Standard volume pump.
Shoving a HV pump in a wore out motor is a used car dealer band-aid ... or true desert-survival mode.
i do agree with you, its a bandaid on a chopped off limb, i know. i have an engine im trying to get overhauled and bored out and such, but so much money to keep this truck alive i cant spend money on new parts for the replacement. oil pressure good before cam, less good after cam, threw a bandaid onnit.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i do agree with you, its a bandaid on a chopped off limb, i know. i have an engine im trying to get overhauled and bored out and such, but so much money to keep this truck alive i cant spend money on new parts for the replacement. oil pressure good before cam, less good after cam, threw a bandaid onnit.
Looking ahead:
Please don't cheap out on the rebuild pistons ... Not those with old-fashioned thick wide rings & short compression height ... OE L31 CH aka CD is right at 1.560" and ringpak's metric 1.5-1.5.-3mm ... shorter pistons can be OK, but only when block is decked. Quench matters! Good luck w/ your project.

drifterwanb666

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
contacted blackbear wednesday, got another PCM friday, threw it in and its now monday. one little hiccup but i think thats more 02 related, throwing new sensors in today. seems like the seccond pcm fixed that odd issue, thanks yall for the help. :boti: