Sas questions I couldn't find

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

891Ton

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just my 2 cents here. I would never buy an empty used housing and try to fill it with parts. I hate when I have to rebuild an axle from scratch. Things just don't go together the right way. And you will end up trying to find stupid little things that will make your build take days. Like bearing caps that don't go together, or c clips, or a carrier that doesn't fit the gears. Or something as little as pinion shims has held up my axle builds for two days. who carries these kinds of things on the shelf? you end up waiting two days for them to come mail order and your build just got pushed off another week.

Get a complete axle and replace what needs replacing, and leave what aint broke alone. I wont even work on empty housings anymore. The last Dana 60 empty housing I got with a box full of parts that were supposed to go with it, nothing fit. It was parts of all different axles put together and I spent days tracking down stupid s**t like shims, seals, brake parts, and bearings. It will make your build go that much smoother to have stuff complete from the get go.

aaronb

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Caliper brackets, it will also be a good idea to replace the wheel bearings aswell.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
How much would it cost to replace everything that is inside the hub? One side doesn't have anything in it but what I guess is a spindle?

NorCalMike

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You're going to SAS your truck and "i guess is a spindle" you don't know what a spindle is, but you want to gut your front suspension? Please save up some money and take this project to a reputable shop before you kill a bus full of nuns.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Or how about we help someone that's trying to learn instead of being a smartass. That sure would help now wouldn't it? You can't have a single forum that you ask for help on and end up with someone being a smartass, never fails.

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You're going to SAS your truck and "i guess is a spindle" you don't know what a spindle is, but you want to gut your front suspension? Please save up some money and take this project to a reputable shop before you kill a bus full of nuns.

Really!? way to be supportive buddy...

peyton4x4- look up a schematic on google and they will give you a list of parts in order. also check out youtube. nowadays theres a video of entire axle disasembly and reasembly.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. I've looked it up. Someone who had the axle before me had hit the hub with a hammer, I can not pull the clutch gear out because where it was hit with the hammer, the metal was bent downward. I've hit it with a hammer to round it back out. Does anyone how how I can round it back out?

98sierra4x4

OBSession
Reaction score
Or how about we help someone that's trying to learn instead of being a smartass. That sure would help now wouldn't it? You can't have a single forum that you ask for help on and end up with someone being a smartass, never fails.

Have you ever been on pirate4x4? Yeah they are famous for this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eg30.06

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks. I've looked it up. Someone who had the axle before me had hit the hub with a hammer, I can not pull the clutch gear out because where it was hit with the hammer, the metal was bent downward. I've hit it with a hammer to round it back out. Does anyone how how I can round it back out?

Pictures would help here. to ding the hub in someone must of hit it pretty hard. if you already tried to hammer it back then you may need to get a small file in there to smooth it out.

peyton4x4

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can kinda see it. Look at about 10 o'clock on the end of the hub.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-10-29-12-20-04.jpg
    Screenshot_2015-10-29-12-20-04.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 17