Am I underpowered?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It all depends on the Hp and torque goals. Assuming that are all
Getting a turbocharger then a 350, 4.8, 5.3, or anything else can reach let’s say 600 Hp.

Above that things get pricey and lower revs and lower boost levels equal longer lasting. At that point you decide if you are going to commit to a certain engine platform and build one high $, or take your chances and swap engines as needed. Nothing fun about grenading an engine at 150 mph though, things happen quick.

My neighbor is having his Chevelle rebuilt with a cro Molly cage to certify for 8 second quarters, it’s big $. He was at 1100 Hp with a tame streetable 6.0 built with good, rods, pistons, and a fairly mild cam but who knows how much the new combo will make. I was at a dinner party there and one of the guys was talking about his 600 cube Chevelle that my neighbor did a new hot side turbo setup for and it was over 2500 Hp so it’s all in perspective.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
It all depends on the Hp and torque goals. Assuming that are all
Getting a turbocharger then a 350, 4.8, 5.3, or anything else can reach let’s say 600 Hp.

Above that things get pricey and lower revs and lower boost levels equal longer lasting. At that point you decide if you are going to commit to a certain engine platform and build one high $, or take your chances and swap engines as needed. Nothing fun about grenading an engine at 150 mph though, things happen quick.

My neighbor is having his Chevelle rebuilt with a cro Molly cage to certify for 8 second quarters, it’s big $. He was at 1100 Hp with a tame streetable 6.0 built with good, rods, pistons, and a fairly mild cam but who knows how much the new combo will make. I was at a dinner party there and one of the guys was talking about his 600 cube Chevelle that my neighbor did a new hot side turbo setup for and it was over 2500 Hp so it’s all in perspective.
this is true but it dose not have to be check out this cheap hot mess
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this is true but it dose not have to be check out this cheap hot mess
Yes that’s basically what my SBC combo is. Well done meticulous machine work to the block and crank, forged rods and pistons, ported vortec heads, GT-45 turbo. Nothing exotic but also not after anything over 550 HP I’m doing it for the torque, sound and to be different. I won’t race the truck, I have a car for that but it it sure fun to play around with an honest 550 HP!

I do suggest sone high quality headers and paying a pro to weld up the hot side to feed the turbo. The eBay turbo kits won’t normally last.

This guy has some good content on the topic of boosted SBC:

Attachments

• IMG_3920.jpeg
    IMG_3920.jpeg
    216.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_3917.jpeg
    IMG_3917.jpeg
    298.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talking about V6's in 3/4 ton trucks do any of y'all remember the 305 V6? My grandaddy had a 69 GMC 1 ton with one of those engines in it that spent most of its life pulling the hay wagon. That thing would pull down a house if you could feed it. He drove it to town once,came back and pulled up the bulk fuel tank and said "never again" as he was pumping fuel back into it. I think they used the same 1bbl carb as the 292 with a huge oil bath air breather.

99xcss4

frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
ah the old 60-66 gmc big block v6s 305 351 478 the 503 inline 6 the 637 v8 and the 702 v12 all in both gas and diesel options I think

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
ah the old 60-66 gmc big block v6s 305 351 478 the 503 inline 6 the 637 v8 and the 702 v12 all in both gas and diesel options I think
Never seen any of those other truck engines. I've only seen two of the 305's. The one grandpa had and a guy drug one into my shop that was in a 63 3/4 ton step side 4WD P/U. Set of points and a condenser sent him on his merry way. The fishermen would have loved that 503 if they could have got them,most of them ran 292's. 702 V12?,now that's a motor. I'll have to google that one.