What suspension/bushings/etc am I due for?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Yeah other than surface rust on the underside mines pretty clean minus the dents. I figured shy of a wire wheel and days of laying in the rocks I’d just live with it.
the 4Runner I got my wife is 4x4 and I did a quality lift/tires/winch and what not. It gets us around the woods by us just fine. And my Subaru I drive is awd. Truck does just fine moving tools and equipment on the side and dirt for her garden and what not. I love it, kids love it. Just wanna get a list of good enough stuff to keep her going for decades to come.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I get dirty for a living, I’m not opposed to that part one bit! Nor am I scared of wrenches. I repair commercial HVAC/R equipment during the day and help folks out with residential repair/replacements at night/weekdays. I know a lot my age (31) don’t like to get dirty, but I’m raising two little men and somebody’s gotta show them.
My only concern was going too far and spending as much as I did on the truck on tuning up the suspension. I know myself too well.
Kinda wishing I’d splurged on a 4x4 if I’m gunna sink a ton into it, but figured for what it was I wouldn’t need it. Hard to find a decent shape decently maintained 4x4 with the miles I bought mine with (105k-ish) at all let alone at a price I can justify beating up around the yard/jobsite.

But I digress. I’ll shop around for quality parts. Kinda more looking for a list I guess. Would love to tune it up with my 11 year old boy and keep it good enough for him to drive to school one day. Nothing beats the memories made with friends on the weekends in the woods beating up dads poor old pick up. Except the beatings after lol

Hahaha gotta leave her something to nag about. My wife loves when I spend what little free time I have fiddling with my projects. Keeps them young
Probably don't need a "list" - at that mileage, if they haven't been done already, the idler arm/bracket may be worn, rag joint on the lower steering shaft probably a bit loose. The rest of the front end should still be reasonably good if all the joints have been greased at least a few times. Easy to check most of it for wear - have a helper turn the wheel while you watch for slop in the steering linkage, jack it up and support the frame up stands and have helper apply lifting force under the tire with a very long pry bar (8' pipe, 2x4, etc.) while you watch the ball joints for slack, wiggle the tire side to side to check for wheel bearing slop (you'll feel it), look closely at the bolts on the lower control arms where they go through the frame and bushings - if they appear off-center from the bushings, the bushings will be torn.

Checking for ball joint slop..
You must be registered for see images attach

If it's been neglected or once you get higher in mileage.. consider just getting loaded control arm assemblies instead of fighting with the ball joints and bushings. Then you'll just need tie rods, idler arm/bracket, pitman arm to round out the whole thing. My big pile of parts is still sitting in those same boxes from nearly a year ago.. (I knocked the brakes out already.)

Richard

Reaction score
Probably don't need a "list" - at that mileage, if they haven't been done already, the idler arm/bracket may be worn, rag joint on the lower steering shaft probably a bit loose. The rest of the front end should still be reasonably good if all the joints have been greased at least a few times. Easy to check most of it for wear - have a helper turn the wheel while you watch for slop in the steering linkage, jack it up and support the frame up stands and have helper apply lifting force under the tire with a very long pry bar (8' pipe, 2x4, etc.) while you watch the ball joints for slack, wiggle the tire side to side to check for wheel bearing slop (you'll feel it), look closely at the bolts on the lower control arms where they go through the frame and bushings - if they appear off-center from the bushings, the bushings will be torn.

Checking for ball joint slop..

If it's been neglected or once you get higher in mileage.. consider just getting loaded control arm assemblies instead of fighting with the ball joints and bushings. Then you'll just need tie rods, idler arm/bracket, pitman arm to round out the whole thing. My big pile of parts is still sitting in those same boxes from nearly a year ago.. (I knocked the brakes out already.)

Richard
Thank you, this is exactly what I needed

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I almost forgot - most aftermarket control arm bushing kits don't come with replacement sleeve. If you're lucky, you can reuse yours. Most are trashed, and you have to engineer a fix. I used some schedule 80 pipe and some random conduit I had in my scrap pile and pressed them together.

"I have no idea what the specs were on the conduit, but I'd assume it was .040" wall and probably 7/8" inner diameter. The pipe had a .832" outer diameter and cost me about $17 for 10'."

used

Reaction score
I almost forgot - most aftermarket control arm bushing kits don't come with replacement sleeve. If you're lucky, you can reuse yours. Most are trashed, and you have to engineer a fix. I used some schedule 80 pipe and some random conduit I had in my scrap pile and pressed them together.

"I have no idea what the specs were on the conduit, but I'd assume it was .040" wall and probably 7/8" inner diameter. The pipe had a .832" outer diameter and cost me about $17 for 10'."

used
Thank you for the heads up. As an hvac tech and licensed electrician (wa is bs for licensing) I have tons of scrap conduit/plumbing pipe, fittings, and whatnot lying about. That should be easy to rig something up for that