Solid bolt-on suspension kit for off-roading and daily driving, and other stuff?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trullss

Reaction score
Hey everyone!

First things first, I'm still learning, so if I come off as arrogant or dumb, it's because I don't know enough yet, so I'm happy to soak up any and all information you guys can share!

Anyways, I bought my first truck recently, a 1998 K1500 Silverado Z71. I'm super happy with it, but I want to start making it "mine", so I've been doing a lot of research on different kits out there. Here's what I'm looking for:

1. A kit that has more or less everything I'll need. I don't mind having to buy some extra stuff, but I'd like it to be consolidated to keep things simple.

2. Around a 4" lift since that will let me run the wheel and tire sizes I'm looking at.

3. Decent off-roading performance, while still being okay to drive around every day. I'm not picky about it being ultra smooth around town; if I'm in between better off-road performance or better daily performance, I'm looking at the former. I'm not trying to do crazy rock crawling or crazy trails, just something that can handle roughness and some rocks, and get me to some neat views otherwise unattainable.

4. I'm not super price conscious; I don't mind spending more if it gets me more. I also have access to a garage with every tool I'll need, and a good circle of friends and roommates with considerably more experience than me, ready to help out.

5. I'd prefer to not have to do any major cutting or fab work if possible.

If there are any other things; mods or parts - small or large - that you guys would recommend I get, please let me know! I've heard steering stabilizers do a lot for quality steering, and I've been reading about simple 5.7 V8 mods to do to keep it running well and possibly adding some power.

Any help and any advice is highly appreciated!

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rough Country is a pretty good value, BDS and a few others are better lifts but quite a bit more expensive. I’m doing a build right now and we went with RC for the lift and steering stabilizer, and Off Road Designs shackle flip for the rear.
The best advice I can give you if you are going to lift it and put bigger tires on it, is to re-gear it. That makes a big difference on the whole drivetrain.

trullss

Reaction score
Rough Country is a pretty good value, BDS and a few others are better lifts but quite a bit more expensive. I’m doing a build right now and we went with RC for the lift and steering stabilizer, and Off Road Designs shackle flip for the rear.
The best advice I can give you if you are going to lift it and put bigger tires on it, is to re-gear it. That makes a big difference on the whole drivetrain.
Cool, will definitely be re-gearing.

Do you notice much of a difference with steering stabilizers? I've been reading some people saying it's massively overhyped, and some saying it's night and day. Price isn't outrageous for 'em, so I could honestly see myself snagging some if they genuinely could be helpful.

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have never done just the stabilizer. It’s always with a bunch of other parts, so I’m not sure. Every truck I have put them on has steered nice and driven really straight.