Totally lost noob with silly question, but I've been reading everything I can find with no avail...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RobSquatch

Reaction score
Hello! As stated: I have been lurking for some time, reading a gazillion posts and nothing is really lining up with my scenario, so here I am:
Background: New to me 1994 K2500 5.7, 4L60: stock TBI, only mod I can see are huge 10mm silicone sheathed race-style plug wires.

Symptoms: First the good: fires right up, idles beautifully except a light surge (fixed with sealing off a broken vacuum line). Free revs just fine: zooms to redline, and back down, no smoke, no rattles or weird noises. At light throttle just putting around town at 25-45 mph, it does fine...drives beautifully for a 29 year old truck. It's the light 3/4 ton...basically a heavy-half: 8 lug wheels and semi-float 12 bolt (I think it is?). RPO codes say it's 4.10 gears. The problem is when trying to get any performance out of it, anything more than a leisurely stroll it falls flat on its face with no power, smokes grey (tailpipe is thick black soot) it gets terrible mileage...worse than my old '95 C2500 with the 454...like 5 mpg bad, and it can't get out of its own way. The concerning thing is under load it knocks...doesn't sound like a rod knock...I've heard that several times over the years, but it's not normal pinging either. A side note is the oil pan gasket is gone...it hemorrhages oil scary bad, so that's the priority next.

What I've done: The plugs were worn out, mildly fouled, but nothing alarming. Everything else appears stock. New AC Delco plugs gapped at 35. Firing order is correct. Plug wires are tight...now...some were loose. Previous owner had synthetic oil in it. I'm running Delo 15W40 as its showing around 230K. That helped a lot, but the main issues remain. Oil pressure, even with the synthetic was a good 15-40 psi. The 40 weight didn't change much, just leaks out a little slower and not from as many places...the synthetic just ran out of the pores in the block it seemed lol.

EGR is seized and disconnected. I found the vacuum line was chewed off and leaking, so I hit it with a lighter and crimped it shut with pliers for now...not a permanent fix, just stopping the leak for now until I can replace the EGR, then I have to do a new line anyway. It sat for about a year before I bought it, so I've run the old gas out of it, added fresh fuel and B12 Chemtool, flushed the TBI with cleaner, checked for manifold leaks (none), tightened the valve covers and oil pan bolts...they were loose. The truck was purchased new and used as a shop truck by a local diesel shop for hauling a gooseneck service trailer. Guy I got it from bought it from them to tow a boat with and said he just wanted something newer so he bought a new truck and was just getting rid of this one. So its my problem now...apparently (from talking to the diesel shop via email) it was having problems for them too. Enough history :)

It starts right up beautifully..crank-crank-VROOM, just like expected. Very little grey smoke at cold idle, but smells of fuel and sooty exhaust pipe. No CEL, no codes when I checked today by trying to get the CEL to flash the codes by jumpering the OBD1 port. Done it before successfully on my old truck, but that doesn't mean I'm for sure doing it right this time...been a few years and I'm getting older ;) Idle is smooth and steady at 700 rpm. Battery voltage is right on as is the alternator. Fuel pump is noisy at key-on, but seems fine. It doesn't feel like its starving, if anything, too rich.

My thoughts: priority #1 is that oil pan gasket, and check the rotating mass from underneath just for kicks while we're in there. Oil change had zero grit or shiny: just dirty and like any normal oil change. I dredged the old oil with a magnet and got nothing remarkable. EGR is shot for certain. Knock sensor harness looks suspect: thin, frail and cracked. MAP sensor looks OEM original, so it's on the list too. TBI been cleaned. IAC looks fine and it idles beautifully, so not worries there. The surge went away when I sealed the loose vacuum line. Couldn't find any other vacuum leaks. No over-heating: gets to 95 degrees, stat opens and coolant circulates. No leaks. No oil/water cross contamination. No back-pressure coming from the oil fill cap when the engine is running. In short it runs great until I want it to scoot. It really sprays the oil out when I give it the gas too...like showers out of the pan. It feels like the knocking sound is coming from underneath the truck; that's what has me so confused. I thought it was something loose, an exhaust leak or maybe a torque converter bolt at first, but short story: those don't add up when testing...unless I'm doing something wrong. The knock is not consistent either: Its worse when it's hot outside. Cold, rainy weather and it almost runs normally, just still low on power. Sometimes it's rhythmic with rpms, others it's like random..."whap-whap-whap-whap" vs "whap-whackathud whap whap whapwhapwhap whap whap". I do have a video with the sounds, just don't know if I am allowed to post that here yet.

If y'all still with me: I am disabled and don't have my tools anymore, so I personally can't do much more. I just need ideas to take to friends who are helping me do the work on it. I feel like I should just gut and replace all the ignition/emissions and fuel management sensors and components, but I can't afford to do that. I do think it is a stack effect of a lot of things a little bit out of whack; I just need to try to focus my troubleshooting instead of shotgunning wild at it. My preferred fix would be to pull the engine and replace it with a 383 long block and stand-alone aftermarket EFI, like Holley ProJection or Sniper system...but its only a 1500 buck thirty year old beater. The truck is just transportation for me, not a tow rig. It was just the best cheap garbage I could afford on disability after I lost my Jeep in a divorce ;)~ Thanks all!!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are going to have to get your fuel pressure readings. That will be the first thing anyone with the knowledge to help(not necessarily me) will want to know.
Do you have a repair manual? They usually have a pretty good trouble shooting section, test this ok move on, bad test do this.
There is a sticky section here that has all the factory manuals available for download.
My personal fix for a stumble/hesitation while driving, revved up in park/neutral fine, was the little section of hose connected to the fuel pump in the tank. Full of holes from the ethanol in the new gas.
If you say your pump is already noisy, it MAY be already telling you what's wrong. Ya it sucks dropping the tank, take the bed off if at all possible.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A LD 2500 has 6 lug and a 14b 9.5 semi-float. Are you sure it’s a LD 2500?
Beat me to it.

I think he's considering it a "light" 2500 because it has the semifloating rear end. Many early 8 lug 2500's got the 9.5" 14 bolt SF. Seems like the change to them coming with the full floater was around 95 or possibly 96; we've discussed it here in the past and I can't recall the specific year.

But Caman96 is correct: the "light duty" 2500 is a 6 lug truck with a 7200lb GVWR, is essentially a 1500 with minor upgrades. Robsquatch your 8 lug 2500 is a "real" 2500 with likely an 8600lb GVWR.. If you saw the original window sticker for it, it would be referrred to as "heavy duty"

Richard

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1994 K2500 5.7, 4L60: stock TBI

when trying to get any performance out of it, anything more than a leisurely stroll it falls flat on its face with no power, smokes grey (tailpipe is thick black soot) it gets terrible mileage...worse than my old '95 C2500 with the 454...like 5 mpg bad, and it can't get out of its own way. The concerning thing is under load it knocks...doesn't sound like a rod knock...I've heard that several times over the years, but it's not normal pinging either.
Someone leave the ignition-timing connector unplugged? "Zero" (TDC) degrees advance with connector unplugged at idle, typically about 10--15 degrees advance when the connector is plugged back in. Do you see the spark advance when checked with a timing light?

Unplugging the timing connector to set/check base timing will set a code, so you'll have to remove a battery cable for fifteen seconds to clear it. "I" would check to make certain the code actually set--verifies that the computer is capable of setting and remembering codes.

Plugging/failed catalyst?

New AC Delco plugs gapped at 35.
WHICH "AC Delco plugs"? Did you adjust the gap, or were they good "out-of-the-box"?

I'm running Delo 15W40
Not a great idea, even if the oil you selected is rated for gasoline engine use (spark ignition, not compression ignition) Delo 400 seems to be rated for both compression- and spark-ignition use. (API CK-4 or SN service category) but it'll be heavily biased towards the Diesel use.
www.chevronlubricants.com/en_us/home/products/delo-400-sde-sae-15w-40.html

Many of the newer "Diesel" oils are not suitable for spark-ignition service at all. The additive package is all-wrong.

EGR is seized and disconnected.
As said--that's gotta get fixed. Lack of EGR promotes detonation. Drives the knock sensor crazy, which causes retarded timing, which causes poor power and crappy fuel economy.

It starts right up beautifully..crank-crank-VROOM, just like expected. Very little grey smoke at cold idle, but smells of fuel and sooty exhaust pipe.
Verify catalytic converter. Plugged, poisoned, "murdered".

No CEL, no codes when I checked today by trying to get the CEL to flash the codes by jumpering the OBD1 port.
Not a waste of time, but no substitute for a REAL scan tool. "Codes" can be helpful, but the real information is in the data stream.

Knock sensor harness looks suspect: thin, frail and cracked.
That's gonna be crucial with the EGR disabled. Detonation can easily kill an engine at moderate-to-heavy throttle.

MAP sensor looks OEM original, so it's on the list too.
Don't replace sensors without testing...except for O2 sensors. O2 sensors "age-out", they get lazy and inaccurate with time and mileage.

How old is the O2 sensor? If you don't know...it's probably time to get a fresh one. Even if it tests good via scan tool diagnostics, I've seen engine driveability issues resolved with a new O2 sensor.

No over-heating: gets to 95 degrees, stat opens and coolant circulates.
Obviously 95 C, not 95 F.

In short it runs great until I want it to scoot.
Plugged exhaust? Especially catalytic converter.

It really sprays the oil out when I give it the gas too...like showers out of the pan.
I'm suspicious of excessive blow-by. Perhaps from damaged pistons/rings due to detonation, from the failed EGR system.

It feels like the knocking sound is coming from underneath the truck; that's what has me so confused. I thought it was something loose, an exhaust leak or maybe a torque converter bolt at first, but short story: those don't add up when testing...unless I'm doing something wrong. The knock is not consistent either: Its worse when it's hot outside.
Cracked flexplates are VERY common on these engines. They'll crack in an irregular circle around the bolts at the crank flange. Knock like crazy under some load conditions, not so much under other conditions.

I am disabled and don't have my tools anymore, so I personally can't do much more. I just need ideas to take to friends who are helping me do the work on it.
Connect a scan tool, verify ALL the sensors and computer outputs.

Check fuel trims.

Make certain that the initial timing is correct, and that the electronic advance works.

Make certain that the knock sensor system is working.

Make certain that the torque converter clutch works.

I feel like I should just gut and replace all the ignition/emissions and fuel management sensors and components, but I can't afford to do that.
Not a good plan. The "new" sensors may not be as good as the OEM parts on it now. TEST before replacing.

Last edited:

RobSquatch

Reaction score
Very cool! Thank all y'all for the great info!! I've got a better idea of direction now, that's what I needed! I'm working off a Haynes manual...the ones that say "this is too complicated, take it to a shop" type stuff lol.

@Schurkey Good info on the oil too, thank you! I just really went to that as an emergency measure. Once I get the pan fixed, I'll go back to regular 10-30 dino juice; the diesel oil was all I could find here in 40 weight and I did that before I could get underneath it to look it over :)

I'm only driving it as needed, it sits most of the time until I make more progress. Sounds like it's pretty much as I thought: a lot of smaller things aggravating each other. I now have a better plan for troubleshooting it. I know a couple folks who should have a scantool and know how to use it, so I'll reach out to them, and definitely plan on O2 sensors while we're under it doing the pan, and I'll get the EGR on order.

Nice part about the fuel pump: previous owner cut a hatch in the bed floor, so a couple bolts and it's right there! I did that to my 99 Suburban the second time I did the fuel pump.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm working off a Haynes manual...the ones that say "this is too complicated, take it to a shop" type stuff lol.
That's a mistake. Haynes, Chiltons, Clymers...they're all toilet paper.

Get the REAL manuals via free download from the links posted in the sticky section of this forum.

Nice part about the fuel pump: previous owner cut a hatch in the bed floor, so a couple bolts and it's right there! I did that to my 99 Suburban the second time I did the fuel pump.
Don't get me started.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that cutting a hole in the body structure , I'd have to check the body inspection binder, is a very bad idea.
Why would that be an ok thing to do. Just stupid and lazy.
One more thing to check for before paying for another Tahoe or Yukon. :3811797817_8d685371