RCLB TD build thread. Q&A, mostly me questioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Man, i'm gonna have to figure out a good way to lift the cab for my project off of what's left of the original frame onto my new one fairly soon, still has doors and all interior besides the seats in it, i've been contemplating on either having like 8 guys come over and lift it up,*or to 2modify" the ceiling in my barn to be able to hold the weight and lift it up, roll the frame under, and set it back down.

Justin S

Truck Hoarder
Reaction score
Yeah, and both my project and my dd both have rotted driver's side floors. I cut an OEM panel out from my parts truck, the one I got the frame from, that I will splice in later, and my dd has a large soft spot under the carpet that I eventually may or may not take the 10 minutes to shove a sheet of anything under to help, its a beater so no real initiative to do so.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
I already had it in my head to gut the interiors on both cabs, and with there being enough holes in both cabs using the cherry picker and chains/straps worked mint.

Balancing though man, what a drag.

Otherwise yeah four guys and some beer could work

dave_erald

Reaction score
...I cut an OEM panel out from my parts truck...

This would have been lovely to have, or starting with an even less rotted donor truck. Or a completely separate beater truck, see below...

... its a beater so no real initiative to do so.

I need a truck like that, I envy you and your beater, not this ridiculous Sunfire. I mean, I should stop harping on it, it's good on fuel, and it's the wifes first vehicle. But still I mean, jesus this thing is irritating

dave_erald

Reaction score
So... drilled and tapped the intake manifold for the boost sensor

You must be registered for see images attach

Almost looks like I knew what I was doing

And then primed it

I managed to get it painted and up on the engine, but night was coming so no pic yet.

I did however get my trans bolted in properly, and get the transfer case adapter ground down and bolted on as well

I like these bolts more and more for some reason. Meh, little segway I know but, whatever

Anywho, here's a quick explanation on how to get a NP205 bolted to a 4L80-E, with factory parts ( required is preferably a short input 32 spline Np205, and a long full splined 4L80 out of a suburban/van )

This is the factory adapter to go from a Racetrack NP205 to a TH400 transmission, and it almost bolts directly up to the 4L80...almost. The red indicator arrow is pointed at the raised centering lip that is mated to the TH400. This lip is too tall and...

...the outer circumference is too wide to fit into the 4L80. So, with this in hand, AND the factory 4L80 to NP241 that was in the truck, off to my local buddy to have it milled down. I couldn't tell you how much of either had to be ground off, but with the 1998 adapter he could measure and cut down the 1978 adapter to fit into the 4L80...well it almost does

.....this is a crappy pic of where the Racetrack adapter hits the transmission. Terrible pic, I know, just a sec

This shows where a little bit more grinding was required to clear the transmission body. It is a little bit more than required, but I hope this will be enough that if I have to remove the transmission pan to pull the valvebody that I won't have to pull the transfer case off as well.

dave_erald

Reaction score
And this is what I mean by "full splined 4L80"

It means that I can bolt the adapter on, measure the trans output shaft and then cut it down to length needed for the transfer case.

EDIT == ****** pic, I know. I'm getting bad at this...

dave_erald

Reaction score
That is good info to have, thank you.

No prob Bob, errr Jrgunn

I guess if nothing else, somebody wanted to replace there 4l80, and bolt a NP205 up ( not my choice, I wanted stick shift, wife can't drive stick but insists she be able to drive my truck )

This transmission I should also mention is out of a 2wd Suburban, meaning I get input AND output sensors in the transmission that work, meaning I get an output for my speedometer, I don't have to rely on "Gerry" rigging something on the transfer case

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
No prob Bob, errr Jrgunn

I guess if nothing else, somebody wanted to replace there 4l80, and bolt a NP205 up ( not my choice, I wanted stick shift, wife can't drive stick but insists she be able to drive my truck )

This transmission I should also mention is out of a 2wd Suburban, meaning I get input AND output sensors in the transmission that work, meaning I get an output for my speedometer, I don't have to rely on "Gerry" rigging something on the transfer case

Interesting, i knew the "RV" shafts could be cut down or whatever, but it never occured to me to use a 2wd trans. So you just pulled the tailhousing off and used the adapter in it's place? That's pretty clever, like you, I've found Chevy 60's to be far more plentiful and affordable than a Ford HP.

dave_erald

Reaction score
I started this build in my head that only Chevy derived parts ( i.e. parts pulled from General Motors trucks ) would be put back in, so naturally I started with a Dana 60 out of a '78 cab and chassis dually loaded with 4:56's

I had seen this NP205 to 4l80 swap done but never knew exactly how they did it, kinda had to google and parts search it till it came together