RCLB TD build thread. Q&A, mostly me questioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
So this is where this thing is sitting right now.

You must be registered for see images attach

I need to pic new colors for it, wheels and tires, and a whole mess of other stuff.

If somebody is proficient at it, I would love to see it photoshopped black on top and then one of the colors monstaliner offers, for the body line just under the side mirrors down, probably Midnight Special? I don't know, definitely two-tone.

The rear has a shackle flip, and the front will be leaf sprung sas'd and level with the rear, I guess that would make it 6" up in the front?

Going to stay dually, do I run the dually rims all around? A Rwd offset rim on the front so it sticks out? 19.5 bread truck rims? I don't know yet...
And staying dually I have my eyes on running more military tires, XML, or Xl's no bigger than 40's, proper bumper fitment and some fender trimming and I can run 40's on this low of lift. It's been done.

Questions? Comments?

Anybody? Anything welcome as long as you got fact to back it, and don't be an arse, please. THANKS!

Cokeman95

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check out hidplanet.com and theretrofitsource.com. I'm sure it's been done by someone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
You're looking at ALOT of trimming.

dave_erald

Reaction score
There would be a bunch of trimming no doubt. I did not know about theretrofitsource.com , that looks like probably a better site to get a projector/hid up-fit from rather than eBay. Good to know

Now I am debating on where to get some glass fenders for the box, off-roadfiberglass.com looks like it's got some inexpensive stuff that would probably work, just would require a bunch of fab to get installed I think

dave_erald

Reaction score
UPDATE TIME

If anyone is following this than I apologize, as I have been working on this thing, or taking care of Family items which either/or has kept me away from logging in this build

So, on to assembly

You must be registered for see images

Driveway is the only place to do it, so build it a la driveway I shall. Dana 60 going back together, FYI I dickered up caliper bracket side to side, so had to pull it all apart to swap the brackets from one side to the other. Ooops

Once I did it get together which included getting the factory Spicer hubs working. They look period correct, but won't last under bashing I would surmise. Next year will be chromoly stuff and 35 spline

Attachments

• WP_20160417_003_zpscaruc19j.jpg
    WP_20160417_003_zpscaruc19j.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 0

dave_erald

Reaction score
So, went to the local PicNSave one day

Found this, wife wouldn't let me take it home. She doesn't share my sense of humor, or adventure sometimes.......

Scored some fenders though

And then went home and started hacking it apart

Which, if anyone has done this before is good fun, also time consuming by oneself...

Though I am pleased with myself at how well I got it to balance. Yay me!

I don't care what anyone says, you find a better way to get to the lift pump on the frame rail

dave_erald

Reaction score
As these pics progress, it's going to start looking like a junkyard, so bare with me...

And the welded together transmission I will NOT be using

Like, how does one do that? Anyways, moving on. Wake up, hack, cut, unbolt, eat sleep, wake and repeat

Looks a bit like an oversized trailer don't it?

AAAAHHHHHH, more new parts

Here's the part where I said my place is starting to look like a junkyard, remember me saying that?

Bonus points to anyone that can identify the supplier of all this new smelling goodness

That one's probably a given...

dave_erald

Reaction score
Aaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnd the new parts keep piling up. I should probably start bolting this junk on at some point

...but not before I clean up what I'm bolting it to

And anyone that says your truck can't have Tremclad Farm Paint slathered all over the frame is not your friend. Remember that

Yeah, I kind of went on a spending spree here, and for a bit, and a lot...

...speaking of which, have you stopped to smell new tires? I mean, like BRAND NEW TIRES? So goooood!!

dave_erald

Reaction score
And now we start coming to the part of this build where I actually do some real work

Glowshift EGT sensor in. Manifold drilled and tapped remarkably easy. Pro tip, grab a flap disc on a 4-1/2 grinder and smooth down the manifold first. Center punch and then start with stepping up drill bits, WITH a little bit of grease on the bit flutes to grab and hold filings and shavings. Sorry no pic of me doing that

Oh right, did I mention I bought a Holset HX35 and adapter kit off a friend? Yeah, yeah I did that

And do you have any idea the lengths I went to to get Detroit Diesel Blue paint????? Well not enough apparently cause I never found any.

So GM Corporate Blue goes on

Last new part, I think...

Going to start plumbing up the fuel system, managed to find 1/8npt to 90 degree to 3/8 hose barb fittings. They exist, probably only for this purpose, if at all. Yay me, less connectors