RCLB TD build thread. Q&A, mostly me questioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
Awesome work! Love the progress.

I hope your GS gauges work out better than the ones I had a few years back. They were cheaply made with super thin wiring and the colors didn't match between gauges. Also the sending unit were chincy. Hopefully they have improved.

Love the truck!

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
Thanks man! Some of the wires do look a little thin, and like everything you have to wire up your own fuses and probably quite a bit more harness to get every where for everything you need. The sensors and probes all look to be of fairly decent quality so hopefully they all last. If not maybe I should try now to find out the ranges and ohms of all these sensors so that if they do fail I can find some brand name replacements.

I bought 4 gauges in total matter of fact, EGT, Trans temp, Boost to 30 psi, and Fuel Pressure to 30 psi

The boost I am confident in not wanting to go higher than 15 pounds, and the fuel pressure will be nice to have between Lift Pump and Injection pump

Plus they are all 7 color gauges, keeps everyone happy am I right?

dave_erald

Reaction score
Got some more stuff done this week, I should apologize if any of this seems incoherent, I work on it however I feel that day and take some pics as I go, and then just upload all the pics at once and try to put it all together into something linear (which I am far from on this thing)

Anywho....

Tires mounted

You must be registered for see images attach

Mmmmmm, looks so good. Need mount and clean and paint touch ups. Still a win

And tore into the cab a little more to see what I was into, which included teardown, complete gut and eventually power wash and cut weld paint yada yada yada

Varmints, be makin homes everywhere

This one didn't balance out nearly as well as the last one I took off by myself, could have something to do with me removing the windshield before picking it up

Wow, so, carpet in these trucks, is a no no apparently. I have yet to find one that hasn't rotted the floor directly beneath your feet. Vinyl replacement it is

Cut out windshield, burn off excess window glue ( which spoiler alert, there is a lot of ) and prep it and shoot some self etch primer I bought from TSC ( hint hint, stuff works wonderful ) also used some ready to spray degreaser/pre paint surface cleaner from Home Hardware. Can't remember the name of the stuff. Works well ( like a ready mixed tsp )

Rust, why did it have to be rust...

And this is just me being annoyed with products pic, bought Milwaukee blades = worked absolutely cherry, bought Dewalt blades = the moment they jam even a little and they snap inside the blade holder. Bullshit man, its bull

dave_erald

Reaction score
So, I bought a transmission for this thing probably two years ago now? Two and a half? I don't know, it's been so long

Tore it open to check it over finally. Already has a replacement B&M Converter ( I gotta recheck that, it's a replacement for sure, thought it was B&M )

A B&M deep aluminum pan, and a one plate/cover on the valvebody is gold anodized and says TransGO on it. Cool

I also went ahead and replaced all of the pan bolts for cap head screws with lock washers and a light coat of anti-seize....and by that I mean it was all over me, and hardly any on the bolts. Stupid anti-seize...

But I got it mounted to the engine, so that's a plus

...and the temp sensor for the GlowShift gauge fit perfectly into the trans pressure tap port. And I will be pilfering some spare wireharness's for some weatherpack connectors because the ones they supply are garbage in my opinion

And here comes the part I am silently confident is going to bite me in the ass later, but am hoping won't...

4l80's changed valvebody style from 93-94. I don't know which one this is. I have my old valvebody out of the bunk tranny that went to the wrecker so if I do need to swap I could, that being said I hope this one will work fine. The clear change between those years was the Force Motor ( Pressure Control Solenoid ) from early to late style, meaning one runs on a different hertz ( frequency ) than the other.
I am sure I will get boned into changing it out after the first test drive. The reason I don't want to change it right now is because the old trans had a number of different issues, and this trans is supposedly mint, I may just end up buying a new solenoid if I get hosed. The biggest reason I am silently hopeful is because this transmission has the new style thru connector on the side of the transmission. Generally that means it's the new style solenoid as well... I think

We shall see

dave_erald

Reaction score
Progress made on the FEED THE BEAST MOD, jury is still out on whether this is actually required or not...

I gave my injection pump inlet cap to a friend and had him hog it out for a new push-loc 3/8 fitting ( that would be 1/4-18 NPT if anyone was wondering ). There was no way for me to do this, being as how the entire inlet cap is case hardened, and my drill bits just get smoked trying so piss on that, TO THE MACHINE SHOP!

And this will be the next thing getting machined

Taking a NBS Master Cylinder and mating it my replacement Hydroboost unit for a factory OBS. The inlet housing on the Hydroboost is to narrow and/or the outer housing of the nose of the Master Cylinder is too wide for the two parts to fit together. Everything else is perfect, except that. So under the knife it goes, or drill bit, whatever

That will be a project for my friend next week, as I do not have machine shop experience, nor the tools.

...but he does

Dylan1991_1500

Long Bed Owner
Reaction score
I actually have a floor that wasn't rotted under the carpet. It had surface rust and is thinning but nothing poked through, the passenger side was perfect. I Magic painted the driver side floor and put the carpet back in. I was surprised. JustinS with his 93 the floor was trashed on the driver side.

dave_erald

Reaction score
Probably depends a lot on where the truck lives I guess, and I love carpet in these trucks much better, but will probably end up throwing vinyl down

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
Probably depends a lot on where the truck lives I guess, and I love carpet in these trucks much better, but will probably end up throwing vinyl down

Mine sat with the window cracked for who knows how long and it's crunchy under the vinyl lol.

Love the truck, glad to see you making progress on it.

dave_erald

Reaction score
I actually got a bit done tonight and need to upload pics. While we are on the subject of flooring, has anybody peeled up a vinyl floor and had a floor full of rot?