RCLB TD build thread. Q&A, mostly me questioning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
UPDATE - The shakes, the rattles, but it rolls...

Been driving this truck fairly reliably for almost a year now. Ton of things I would do again, ton of things I would change but over I love it.

First, yes, my laneway is full of ****. Bite me

Second, I finally have the parts and a welder to put a front driveshaft together and make this front axle spin. Yay

The rear axle still needs to be converted over to 4.56 gearing, still just 4.10's and open diff. However, I may have found another axle that a guy the wife bought a hope chest off of his wife may have sitting in his back yard. 1977 Reg cab 2wd dually big block camper special. I don't care what people say, that's a cool truck in my opinion. Sadly though this truck had been hugely neglected by the previous owner so it is now only good for parts, all the body panels except the hood are shot. Frame is rotten, but it has a Dana 70HD axle. Chances are good that because it was bought with the intention of being a pulling truck (guess away at what a generic statement like 'pulling' could mean) and with a big block that this truck could be a posi/locker and 4.56 geared axle. Mine mine mine

No fuel leaks, there was a small coolant leak, transmission...uh well, suffice it to say i f'ed that up bad in a really really lazy and careless way.

Go ahead, ask me how I know why you can't put transmission connectors out of a 98 4l80-e into a pre 95 4l80?

Yup, I melted the overdrive clutch from lack of (or rather zero) lube flow. The later style connector fits into the middle support bearing housing (did i say that right?) as the newer transmissions are full lube style where the older versions were rear lube style, thus the later connector is an inch longer and buried itself out in the trans and blocked lube flow. I have pics of the garbage I burned up, drove it two weeks and then phbbbbpht.

Front rides well, but needs a panhard bar. Those 52's hanging on a decent length shackle and the hangar design means a fair amount of vagueness in the steering. Parts are here for it, just got to burn it in.

Rear is bit choppy, definitely needs some weight over that axle, and even less air in those rear tires as well I think. That is why the rear bumper is going to be built around a 2x6 HSS 1/4 wall tube. Hopefully add some chunk to the back end and even the big girl out on choppy roads.

dave_erald

Live the dream, or don't, your choice...
Reaction score
@Goose 3406 thanks! It is only sorta feasible going the mechanical injected way if you were to stay older model GM diesel. The electronic injected 6.5's are garbage, duramax conversions's cost a bit, and Cummins engines are probably the only other worth while swap but still require time and money.

6.2's and 6.5's get no love around here...

Goose 3406

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
@Goose 3406 thanks! It is only sorta feasible going the mechanical injected way if you were to stay older model GM diesel. The electronic injected 6.5's are garbage, duramax conversions's cost a bit, and Cummins engines are probably the only other worth while swap but still require time and money.

6.2's and 6.5's get no love around here...
One of these days im gonna swap in a coal burner, just need the time and money. Oh... just don't tell my fiance she'll tear me a new one...