OBS (Old Blown up ) to NBS (New Bad ass ) Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Looks like a great shop to work in, clean!

regarding 14 bolt axles, you were provided some inaccurate information and want to clarify.

both SRW and DRW 14 bolt axles are the same wideth (67") the difference is the hubs, you can swap between DRW and SRW hubs on the same axle as all the bearings are the same., the axle shafts will be different lengths to accomidate the longer hubs. The C&C 14 bolt is narrower and measures 63". The factual information provided was that the van axles are indeed wider, either 69 or 70" depending if it is series 1 or 2. The SRW and C&C axles use the same housings and shafts, with the difference in width being in the hubs. The housings are actuallly identical except for the location of the backing plate flange. Drums & hubs are different, but backing plates, shoes, and wheel cylinders are the same. The SRW and Van axles use the same hubs, the C&C and DRW axles use the same hubs; Though different, the SRW/Van hubs and the C&C/DRW hubs can be interchanged causing a change to the axles WMS. SRW and C&C axle shafts are the same.

And to add, not all dually chevy axles are 14 bolts, some are D70's and D80 while the later 04 and after trucks are AAM 11.5. All are stout axles, the 14 bolt being the most supported with the aftermarket. 14 bolt easy external identifier is the pinion support bearing drop out on the front of the diff casting.

Not entirely correct.

1. You say there is a difference in axle shaft lengths to accomodate longer hubs. This is false. The only difference between the 14 bolt DRW and SRW hubs is where the wheel mounting flange is located. Everything else is the same. For a given 14 bolt (C&C, DRW, Van, Truck), you can interchange SRW and DRW hubs and the shafts will bolt up.

2. There are TWO dually axles, the C&C, and the DRW. The C&C utilizes a similar housing as the truck axle, with the differences you mentioned and, C&C housings have 3.5" tubes vs. 3.375" tubes found on the truck axle. The DRW axle actually measures 72" WMS - WMS and has 3.5" tubes.

3. I have never seen a Dana 80 in Chevy from the factory.

Here the versions of the 14 bolts:

Truck Axle - 67.5 " wide, SRW hubs
Van Axle - 70" wide, SRW Hubs, wider housing
C&C Axle - 63.5" wide, DRW hubs, same housing width as the truck axle
DRW (full width dually) Axle - 72" wide, DRW hubs, widest housing

If you put SRW (single rear wheel) hubs on a full width dually axle, you will have an over all width of 76" and can run uncentered H1 hummer wheels and still have a good track width. You will need to run a dually D60 up front though.

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
with the dually axle isnt the wheel mounting surface tucked farther back to fit the dually wheels?

Like I mentioned above, there are two 14 bolt dually options, the C&C which is the most narrow 14 bolt, and the full width dually which is the wides 14 bolt. I have the full width dually axle on my truck.

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
which axle do you have because that looks too wide, go with a truck axle they're the same width as stock

Mine is the 72" wide full width dually axle. The truck 14 bolt is a touch more narrow than the stock z71 rear by 0.5". I originally had the truck axle and didn't like how my 13.5" wide tires were pretty much tucked. Now, of course, my rims are 17x9 with 5" BS so that did have something to do with it. I am much happier with the wider rear axle.

OP, if you are going to run a x10 rim with around 4" BS, then you have good track width with a truck 15 bolt.

thz71

Stock SUCKS!
Reaction score
Mine is the 72" wide full width dually axle. The truck 14 bolt is a touch more narrow than the stock z71 rear by 0.5". I originally had the truck axle and didn't like how my 13.5" wide tires were pretty much tucked. Now, of course, my rims are 17x9 with 5" BS so that did have something to do with it. I am much happier with the wider rear axle.

OP, if you are going to run a x10 rim with around 4" BS, then you have good track width with a truck 15 bolt.

huh i didn't even notice the .5'' difference i guess in running 12.5's

jps4jeep

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not entirely correct.

1. You say there is a difference in axle shaft lengths to accomodate longer hubs. This is false. The only difference between the 14 bolt DRW and SRW hubs is where the wheel mounting flange is located. Everything else is the same. For a given 14 bolt (C&C, DRW, Van, Truck), you can interchange SRW and DRW hubs and the shafts will bolt up.

2. There are TWO dually axles, the C&C, and the DRW. The C&C utilizes a similar housing as the truck axle, with the differences you mentioned and, C&C housings have 3.5" tubes vs. 3.375" tubes found on the truck axle. The DRW axle actually measures 72" WMS - WMS and has 3.5" tubes.

3. I have never seen a Dana 80 in Chevy from the factory.

Here the versions of the 14 bolts:

Truck Axle - 67.5 " wide, SRW hubs
Van Axle - 70" wide, SRW Hubs, wider housing
C&C Axle - 63.5" wide, DRW hubs, same housing width as the truck axle
DRW (full width dually) Axle - 72" wide, DRW hubs, widest housing

If you put SRW (single rear wheel) hubs on a full width dually axle, you will have an over all width of 76" and can run uncentered H1 hummer wheels and still have a good track width. You will need to run a dually D60 up front though.

I think you missed what I was saying, the drw and srw axles, Flange to flange are the same. The WMS-WMS is different and is made in the hubs, but I never mentioned the WMS difference since someone asked about purchasing a DRW axle to convert.

I've have converted DRW to SRW and the two axles I did this on, had different length shafts, I do not recall the exact difference, but it was somewhere around .5" per side.

I think I clearly identified that a DRW axle was different than a C&C axle.

You are correct re: the D80, I was thinking of the ford C&C dually axle, The F450's have D80's.

The measurements you are providing are WMS-WMS measurements, I will stand with what I stated, the SRW and DRW axles are the same wideth, the measurement differences is in the hubs.

axisT6

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think you missed what I was saying, the drw and srw axles, Flange to flange are the same. The WMS-WMS is different and is made in the hubs, but I never mentioned the WMS difference since someone asked about purchasing a DRW axle to convert.

I've have converted DRW to SRW and the two axles I did this on, had different length shafts, I do not recall the exact difference, but it was somewhere around .5" per side.

I think I clearly identified that a DRW axle was different than a C&C axle.

You are correct re: the D80, I was thinking of the ford C&C dually axle, The F450's have D80's.

The measurements you are providing are WMS-WMS measurements, I will stand with what I stated, the SRW and DRW axles are the same wideth, the measurement differences is in the hubs.

We need to be careful with terms here. C&C = Narrow Dually Axle - 63" WMS, DRW = Full Width Dually Axle - 72" WMS.

What flange are you referring to? The brake backing plate flange?