Need tips and tricks for putting bed back on truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Guys,

I need to put the bed back on my truck so I can take it to get inspected. Problem is that when we took it off we struggled with it with 3 people lifting it off the truck. It's the long bed so it's definitely heavier than the short bed. I'm assuming it's easier to take it off than it is to lift it up and get it back on the truck. My other issue is finding people to help me lift the damn thing. I'll definitely have two people that will be able to help with a probable third and if i'm lucky a 4th person. I was hoping you guys had some tricks for doing this as I need it done ASAP and unfortunately I don't have an engine hoist or a tree near by to help us get it lifted up. So if you guys have any tips on making it easy for 2-3 to lift this heavy son of a gun up and back on the truck i'd appreciate it.

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
Without some sort of lift it is going to be hard with 2 people. You may try building a stand to lift it up on and then driving your truck under it. then let it down. You don't have very many options to work with. 4 people should be able to get it but like you said it may be hard to get that many people.

Bigg G

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You'll need at least 4 pair of strong hands or 2 300lb pig farmers and a 24 pack of Budwiser.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah that's what I'm afraid of...I'd really like to get this done tomorrow since it's my day off and it's one of the few days it's not raining this week....maybe i'll try to get ahold of an engine hoist.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
get some concrete/cinder blocks and some wood long enough to go from tire to tire and stick out past them, so that you can sit blocks up outside the wheels far enough out so you candrive the truck under the bed. Lift one side at a time with the board or boards under the bed, stack a block, go to the other side and repeat, keep doing it until it's high enough to drive under and clear, do that, then raise the board, remove a block, then other side, then back, repeat until it's sitting on the frame.

Need 2 ppl one to lift the side, one to stack or remove the block.

maybe build a big a-frame like a big swing set and use straps or chains or whatever to lift and lower it.

Have at least 3 other ppl besides you and each grab a corner.

Take the tailgate off, it'll make it lighter.

Maybe instead of the swingset a frame thing a garage roof beam, chain fall or hoist or something, or a big tree limb?

I rented a cherry picker for like $56 for the whole weekend, and you can buy em for about $249 now from autozone or other parts store, maybe borrow one from a friend?

I just took mine off and put mine on with a cherry picker. I have removed a short bed with the board and block trick and put it back on the same way, have also pulled one with the roof beam and ratchet straps, then boards under it and sit down on some saw horses on either side of the truck.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I think i'm gonna find somewhere to rent a cherry picker and do it that way. Those are some good suggestions though swim. Seems like the cinder block method would long and cubersome but would definitely work in a pinch

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It aint too long. We had it lifted off and sitting down on the ground in less then 15 minutes or so. Had it back up and let down on the truck in about the same amount of time.

Sierra

In pieces!
Reaction score
I'm glad I have a stepside. It only takes two people to lift one of those.

bizzo15

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah lucky you. I'm sure a short bed is at least 100lbs lighter. I wish I had a scale but if I had to guess I'd say this one weighs at least 400lbs

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
a motor weighs about that much lol, I'd bet it's higher. 2 guys should be able to do 400lbs. together without much problem. A short bed is maybe 400lbs. but I bet a long bed is more like 600 or so maybe more?