PARKING BRAKE pedal won't release (not the cable) - trick to disengage? (1994 - 2500 - 2wd)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chevius

Reaction score
SUPER APPRECIATED - gotta sleep soon as up early - quick one - back tomorow

brake cables only a year old - though yeah, didn't lubricate them - oh, wrong, the front portion is NOT new though in the pix with the blue pry-bar when i push on the cable no prob getting that good feeling it's all moving ok under the truck etc.

ENCOURAGEMENT: hahaha - did a ton of that and it worked for several months - then after first cold spell and sittin' for a couple of weeks no-come-back-uppie.

at a guess if i cut the cable the pedal would still stay stuck down on the floor - gotta assume that for now i'm guessing.

HOWEVER ~>

The trick on the adjustment gear IF it's even possible with my idea may not work. IS, to have regular brakes work (service brakes i believe) and then NOT have the parking brake functional so i can move the truck in the yard.

IS that gonna not be possible i wonder once i put the drums back on.
Having a big think tomorrow or next day on this and getting busy with next moves.

the service brakes should be fine as they were and i figure are - though with the passenger duo-servo cable disconnected, the brake pedal on the floor the MAGIC would be to have there be a way to adjust each adjustment gear maybe differently as they nothing pulling the parking brake on the passenger side with the cable loose YET< the driver's side has the real/main parking brake cable pulled lots - so i thought i could just loosen the adjustment gear on the driver's side a lot and STILL have real/service brakes for just moving it around the year.

Probably goin' way to fast here - your write looks really great and i'm gonna sleep and read again as soon as i get back tomorrow i bet.

BEST TO ALL - HUGE thanks - whatever happens always fine

chevius

Reaction score
Had some dental surgery now over and I'm now clearer somewhat THANKS
My above post's not really clear and/or way too rambley SORRY

1) Can anyone comment on the adjustment gears. Can i loosen both gears from both sides and still have regular "service" brakes? REAR (?) as i expect the proportioning valve would all me to have front service brakes. (to simply move the truck around the yard from where it's been sitting for months - hahaha)

2) As the passenger side duo-servo separate parking brake cable is completely loose (seen in pix) I'm wondering if i can spin the driver's side adjustment gear (the cable is fully pulled though with the driver's side adjustment gear spun all the way IN (seen in pix) I've got lots of slack in the parking brake cable ~> THEREFORE (?) i may (?) or could/should be able to put the drums back on and have service brakes?

I can't recall IF the adjustment gear(s) have much to do with the service brakes - though yeah, they kinda must (duh) as kindly noted by Schurkey

"""The shoes on each side of the vehicle MUST come to rest on the anchor-pin at the top"""

3)
Still guessing/hopin' --> AS, the passenger side is effectively totally parking-brake cableLESS (as it's loose from main cable as per pix above) -- THEN, on the driver's side WITH the adjustment gear spun all the way IN - I've got lots of play in the parking brake cable.

The question I ask myself is when i put the drums back on will i lose service brakes with the adjustment gear most of the way in on the driver's side.
Hope to find out today maybe.

GOTTA FIX the pedal mechanism of course and get it off the floor.
I reckon it's run off the ratchet gear from pressing it down to far - though could be totally wrong of course.

Was kinda hoping there was a magical place to press kinda like this:

Chevy GMC Truck Parking Brake Lever Pedal Reset After A Cable Replacement

With all the black heating duct stuff hiding the pedal (shown in pix above) I'm at a disadvantage to see the parking brake mechanism i guess, without major-ish pre-surgery maneuvers i think.

Whatever happens - big thanks for all the help

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "gear" at the bottom of the rear brake assembly is ESSENTIAL for the SERVICE BRAKE. When that is adjusted properly, DO NOT SCREW WITH IT to disable the park brake.

If the shoes are coming to rest on the anchor pin, the park brake is not active.

All the rest--park brake cables, park brake foot-pedal, park brake lever and spreader-bar behind the drum in the rear brake assembly--means nothing if the shoes are on the anchor pin, and the "gear" (adjuster) at the bottom is set up for a little drag on the drum, both sides.

chevius

Reaction score
SOME DAYS LATER (heh-heh)

well, if anyone had told me that:

-- parking the truck during Christmas on a wee bit of a slope
-- and therefore pushing the already sticky parking brake pedal full-down
-- would have me truck-less for around 3 months

I'd have said:

YEP, sounds like ME.

1)
Found an "evilunclegrimace" comment on "Need Parking Brake Pedal Assembly" thread
noting that the part number for my 1994 is different from 1993 etc. (THANKS!)

1988-1993. Part number 15603808 1st design.
1994 1998 part number 15155147 2nd design.

2) Apparently THIS pix shows 1994 style - (found by searching part number 15155147 and then looking at only images)

*** --> ANYONE got any ideas for how to get the sprocket to move again - like a 'there's a knack to it' type move <-- ***

something like inserting flat-driver in certain spot etc. kinda clear on what I'll try of course.

I'll be out there again tomorrow with mirrors, lights, and much determination and bending*-)

NO BIGGIE about replies etc. Just keeping the info. going here, as if it happened to me.... well...

Attachments

• 81bEqn8+NeL._SL1500_.jpg
    81bEqn8+NeL._SL1500_.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 2

chevius

Reaction score
UPDATE: pix above confirmed accurate i believe.

I'd bet what's happening is that EITHER the gear's run off the end of travel from me pushing it WAY down
OR whatever stops the sprocket from traveling until the release cable is pulled ain't moving to allow release.

NOTE: cable release appears to do stuff though while under looking real well, can't be sure it's doing the last bit that actually allows sprocket gear to move and pedal to come back up.

weather's nice though - almost TOO nice and hot-)

Last edited:

chevius

Reaction score
GM PARTS GIANT (catalog)

the other one there's not at all right - though looks WAY easier to fiddle with.

SO, as there's seemingly insurmountable, immovable heating ducts in the way - gonna continue to attempt to get lucky.
Figure unhook battery and go deeper trying to get around up top with small screwdriver perhaps.

Attachments

• 75e1c82d56b5b5a332d799767a9b7042.jpg
    75e1c82d56b5b5a332d799767a9b7042.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 2
  • cc9afd2407a670da8b6beeb36dfea751.jpg
    cc9afd2407a670da8b6beeb36dfea751.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 2
  • a72326870f8306a18e5e48be6fd84d05.jpg
    a72326870f8306a18e5e48be6fd84d05.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 2
  • cd2cc91134b8a489c0c1bc075a712a7c.jpg
    cd2cc91134b8a489c0c1bc075a712a7c.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 2

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let me see if I got this right.
Pull the release and the pedal unlocks but you have to pull it up with your foot.
Set parking brake for X amount of time,pedal unlocks but won't come up even while trying to lift it manually.

Sounds like front cable seized up.

chevius

Reaction score
Scooterwrench! -- so, i guess it's possible it's the front cable - though pushing on the cable (pix above where i push with blue pry-bar)
-- pressing as it leave the parking brake pedal assembly gives all movements and sound that say to me not the cable - going out now to do sanity check.

YES, the release cable is connected and gives to appearance that it's RELEASING - though i reckon it's not actually releasing and is jammed into a sprocket gear OF the pedal

OR, somehow I've pushed the pedal down so far it's run OFF the gear somehow.

Currently even with pedal full-down (as it's stuck there) I've now got tons of play in the cable and figuring to somehow get the little joiner bit to release the front cable from back cable.

THEN< i figure i can adjust the service/real brakes after putting drums back on - (they've been off for some while) - and puzzle out the problem later -

for starters - just wanna have rear brakes as i drive around the yard here.

funny thing is that before the cold weather the pedal would stick though i could muscle it back up.

hey, perhaps it IS the front cable though sure don't seem like it. Gonna approach it from underneath to see if i can track the front cable better.

SO: maybe it has NOT released when i pull the release cable/handle?

if i use a flashlight to look while i pull the coil spring doesn't show moment though that could be normal - as everything else pulls correctly i figure.

i certainly have enjoyed all the comments everyone.

and whatever happens is fine on that. just keeping the info coming here.
going out to truck now*-)