Cannot get doors back on

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2s9je0af

Reaction score
I took the doors off to paint truck and replace bushings. Replaced bushings and did a test fit with one door (perfect body lines). Now a few weeks later I cannot for the life of me get the doors back on. I keep hitting the fenders or bumps in the hinges. Maybe I have the door to wide open? Anybody have tips? I am using a floor jack with a transmission leveler attachment. Thanks!

JJF20

Reaction score
maybe post a picture of how/what you are doing..

Not to be demeaning, but it really is as simple as you say you are doing. Just getting it all lined up. Bit more difficult with a Jack though, and one person. Are the bushing in correctly, and the correct ones - not too long or something interfering?

Personally, when working alone, I prefer to use a small shop crane (think engine hoist) and hang them. Much easier to position/maneuver around. Use rags under the straps/rope to protect the new paint. As well, mask up the leading edge of the door and edge of the fenders with some tape to help protect the fresh paint.

Give the paint some time to cure if it’s fresh.. it’ll leave marks with tape, rags, rope.. or banging into the fender, lol.

Just as an fyi, I’ve used many of those white metal bushings, and they never last. The hinge opening are usually oval at that point, and the cheap bushings don’t last. Big job, and not sure what you’re into for a project, but new hinges are the way to go - and drilling spot welds, welding, etc. Or alternatively, open them up and have new bushings turned out of impregnated brass, or anything else other than those cheap bushings. But, that’s a more involved suggestion.. just throwing out other ways there for you.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Personally, when working alone, I prefer to use a small shop crane (think engine hoist) and hang them. Much easier to position/maneuver around. Use rags under the straps/rope to protect the new paint. As well, mask up the leading edge of the door and edge of the fenders with some tape to help protect the fresh paint.
Exactly how I did my first GMT400 hinge bushings back in the day...except I didn't bother protecting the edges of the paint as the truck was a beater. :)

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Hah! I'll see your 2 kids holding it and raise you one wife (with phone in hand) holding it on a floor jack. See how that one works out for ya! :mad:
Doing it by yourself without an engine hoist but wrangling it around and balancing it on a step stool thingie.. not recommended, but it worked. ;)

Richard

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hah! I'll see your 2 kids holding it and raise you one wife (with phone in hand) holding it on a floor jack. See how that one works out for ya! :mad:
Off this topic. But try hanging drywall on the ceiling with the wife!!!! Did one and she looked me dead in the eyes and said "call your dad" and walked away!!! Lol

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
Off this topic. But try hanging drywall on the ceiling with the wife!!!! Did one and she looked me dead in the eyes and said "call your dad" and walked away!!! Lol
Have a similar story too. We'd been married less than a year and bought our first house. The house didn't meet the amount of square inches of venting in the crawlspace blocks to qualify for flood insurance. I'm not sure why since it was basically a brand new construction but was a foreclosure. I proceeded to rent a huge cement saw and had her crawl under the house with me to cut out another vent hole in the blocks. Imagine cement dust, me barking orders on how to help hold the saw, and being aggravated about the whole process. She still reminds of that one to this day!

johnckhall

GO DAWGS!!!
Reaction score
Doing it by yourself without an engine hoist but wrangling it around and balancing it on a step stool thingie.. not recommended, but it worked. ;)

Richard
Winner, winner, chicken dinner! Not sure how you got it back on by yourself without scratching the paint on the door jamb all to pieces, but kudos to you!