4L80 swap tips and tricks.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey all, about to complete (have competed!!!!!!!!!!!!!) my 80 swap into my 96 k1500, 5.7L, 0411 swapped truck.

I wanted to cover some of the things I ran into while doing the swap and maybe shed some light on issues y'all might run into during this undertaking. Also, going to try and throw in some items you will need and measurements for things you'll need to modify.

I'll edit this from time to time, adding more things as I remember them.

I will give kudos to all of those who have helped me get to this point too. I am an estimated 4 hours of work away from the first test drive and am super excited!

More to come.

Please read it all. Pretty sure I put some warnings in there.

1) You WILL need to change the length of the front and rear driveshafts. I shortened my rear 1.625" and it worked just fine. I bought a front for a k2500 off Ebay and that worked ok. Here is the forward driveshaft. I didn't need to change the u-joints or anything.

2) I had to drill holes on my chassis to relocate the tranny crossmember. I drilled them 2.75" farther back and it worked for me. I know some earlier chassis had provision for the swap already. Mine didn't unfortunately.

3) You WILL need a new flexplate. I thought maybe the 4L60 one would work because it had all the holes, but it turns out half the holes are offset. It's weird. Anyway, Pioneer makes one that will work, P/N FRA-161, 168 teeth, 14.125" (or 14.13" sometimes... not sure why) OD, 2" ID. Now the ID is DEFINITELY bigger than 2" by about .065" on the crank and the flexplate. Not sure why they don't account for that, but I just "modified" the ID of the flexplate just a little and made it fit because initially it would not go in. I still kept it a relatively tight fit on the crank shaft.

4) [EDIT] You CANNOT use the original 60 dipstick/tube combo. You'll need a new one and Jegs sells it. Now, I can't speak for their quality control because I had to modify the mounting bracket to get it to fit. Best bet is to find an OEM one at the junkyard. If I had more time, I would've done that. I had plenty of time, but damn it, I was lazy! :p

5) [EDIT] Apart from opening up your transfer case and swapping to a 32 spline input shaft, you will need a new transfer case. The 60 transfer case is a 27 spline input. The output spline on the 80 is 32 spline. Found that out the hard way, but I feel like I should've assumed it was going to be different. If you look for a 241C transfer case, you should be golden; they're all over E-bay! Pleasant surprise though, your OEM 60 rear driveshaft yolk spline DOES match the new 241C t-case output spline!

6) I have HPtuners and segment swapped a 4l80e tune into my tune and it worked. [EDIT] So HPTuners has provision for 4WD Lo in the tune that has to be setup. It took some time to get the infor for this, but Supercharged111 pointed me in the right direction. So it doesn't look like you necessarily have to find a 4WD specific tune for it to work, but for a tune that is 2WD, you have to go in there and set the shift points for 4WD Lo manually. The main thing about segment swapping is it MUST be the same OS. Your OS and the donor tune's OS must be the same or it will not work. HPtuners has a tutorial spot on their website for this. See this video for more details. I would highly recommend HPtuners and the 0411 swap guys, at least if you are pre 98. It's super cool to be able to tune your own vehicle. If you decide to do it, I have the excel spreadsheet with the pinout. PM.

7) There is a great video here for rewiring the main tranny harness, re-pinning the 0411, and repurposing the 2 extra wires for the VSS. You will need to buy this harness. I would recommend doing this instead of buying a harness adapter for $100 somewhere. It was super easy!

8) Speaking of VSS. My transmission came with two of them, which was very unusual for my year, especially since it was a 4WD tranny. 2WD's use them both, if I understand correctly. If you are a 4WD use the one most fore on the tranny and disregard the aft one. It MAY just be a plug that looks like a sensor anyway. It doesn't matter either way, even if it is a sensor, use the fore one and use the one on the transfer case if you are a 4WD and let the aft one on the tranny serve as a plug.

9) You WILL need a new transfer case shifter rod. The 60 one is too short. I made it a point to buy a transfer case that came with the rod, otherwise I might've welded a bit of grade 8 bolt to elongate it :grd:!

10) Your OEM shifter cable will work although you may want to swap out your 60 shifter plate onto the 80. The 80 one that came with mine had a slight curve at the end that I think would've caused some interference if I had used it. :33:

11) Your neutral safety switch is the same between trannys! ****, I used a 99 model switch. O'reilly's computer said it wouldn't work, but it sure did. Everything was exactly the same except the part number. I only tried it because it was the only one they had in stock LOL.

12) You will need to modify (slightly) the fluid lines you have. I ended up adding a secondary cooler and ran some hose to make things work. I know that's vague, but you'll see what I mean when you come to it. My 80 had the two line fittings near the front of the transmission because it's a 96 model. The upper line coming out of the tranny is hot or discharge, the lower line of the radiator is hot inlet. You should be able to figure out how to set it up from there. I went from discharge of tranny ---> inlet of radiator ----> discharge of radiator ----> inlet of cooler ----> discharge of cooler -----> inlet of tranny. Only the OEM cold line is long enough to make work if you were just going to use the OEM cooler setup. The hot line was a bit too short and SUPER tight even after modifying it, making me worry it would've broken the radiator if I hadn't incorporated some flexline into the system. ALSO THE OEM COOLER LINES FOR THE K2500 OR K3500 WILL NOT WORK. I bought them and wasted about $80. Routing is case by case and you may want to route it through the secondary cooler first and then the radiator if you're in colder climates. Your discretion.

13) I bought a 96 year 80 and it was super easy to setup. Nice little trick I learned from a buddy is when you're trying to line up the bellhousing with the back of the engine, you can get QTY 2 4-6" allthread or QTY2 long bolts (Cut off the heads), thread them into the lower bolt holes of the block and use those for lining it up. It makes it WORLDS easier to do it this way. After getting the allthread into the bellhousing holes, just slide the buttnugget into place. As Ace once said, "LIKE A GLOVE!" Start with the top bolts to keep it there and then remove the allthread.

I'll add more things as I remember them and if you guys have any questions not detailed here, I'll definitely try and answer them so HMU.

Took the truck for a test drive today and it ran beautifully!

If you're worried about doing this yourself, don't be. It's not too difficult. Just tedious and time consuming, especially if you're like me and have to reloom all the wiring while you're down there and make everything pretty LOL. I did all the lifting, removals, and installs all by myself and I've got a bum shoulder and diabetes :Big Laugh: YOU CAN DO IT!!

Kudos go out to NickTransmissions, DF2x4, L31MaxExpress, and Supercharged111 for their awesome input and help while doing this job!!!

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
4) You CANNOT use the original 60 dipstick. You'll need a new one and Jegs sells it. Now, I can't speak for their quality control because I had to modify the mounting bracket to get it to fit. Best bet is to find an OEM one at the junkyard. If I had more time, I would've done that. I had plenty of time, but damn it, I was lazy! :p

On my truck ('97 C1500 4.3L) I believe I did re-use the stock dipstick itself from the 4L60E, but the tube was different. I used GM part number 15729870 which unfortunately seems to be discontinued now. IIRC I compared dipstick diagrams between my truck in stock configuration against a C2500 350/4L80E setup and the only difference in the part numbers I saw was the tube.

Glad you got it working!

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
411 might be more forgiving and work if it has a 4lo signal wired in. However newer ecu usually needs to start with a 4wd os in order for it to accept a 4lo signal. Had to get a vin number from a 4wd truck to get right os on my swap to e38ecu

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On my truck ('97 C1500 4.3L) I believe I did re-use the stock dipstick itself from the 4L60E, but the tube was different. I used GM part number 15729870 which unfortunately seems to be discontinued now. IIRC I compared dipstick diagrams between my truck in stock configuration against a C2500 350/4L80E setup and the only difference in the part numbers I saw was the tube.

Glad you got it working!
Yeah agreed. I believe the tube will fit and light up, but the dipstick itself won't be the right length. Or maybe the right length with the wrong indicator marking position. I believe someone on this forum took some pictures and measurements for this.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
411 might be more forgiving and work if it has a 4lo signal wired in. However newer ecu usually needs to start with a 4wd os in order for it to accept a 4lo signal. Had to get a vin number from a 4wd truck to get right os on my swap to e38ecu
Oh interesting! How'd you find that?

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh interesting! How'd you find that?
I found a manual transfer case for sale on ebay from a truck that had a vin number listed. From there we were able to look up a compatible ecu and os version. 411 might be simpler as they were more universal. Worth trying to wire in the 4lo signal

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
2 things:

1) You don't NEED a different transfer case, you can just swap the input shaft and bearing to accommodate 32 spline.

2) Easy fix for the 4lo issue, did this to mine. Steal a system segment from a 6.0/4L80 4x4 truck and your 4lo will work without screwing with anything else. Go through the new system segment line by line to make sure the settings you can see are good to go. But with HPT even that may not be necessary as the 4lo stuff is all unlocked already.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's what I've been looking for. I've found some 4x4 tunes using those criteria, but they aren't the same OS, so I can't use them.

Did they ever make Chevy Express vans 4x4? If not, that would explain why I'm having this issue. My OS is from a 2wd.

On the transfer case, I meant apart from disassembling anything haha, but I'll throw that in as an edit to make it clearer. I appreciate it brother.
2 things:

1) You don't NEED a different transfer case, you can just swap the input shaft and bearing to accommodate 32 spline.

2) Easy fix for the 4lo issue, did this to mine. Steal a system segment from a 6.0/4L80 4x4 truck and your 4lo will work without screwing with anything else. Go through the new system segment line by line to make sure the settings you can see are good to go. But with HPT even that may not be necessary as the 4lo stuff is all unlocked already.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
What OS do you have? If it's not 12212256 then just change over to that and you'll find a compatible 4wd OS.

Astro

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's a 12208322 OS. I think the reason this one was used is because the express van is the only van truck that still came with the 5.7L in 01.

Is there another way?