4l80 jumping back and forth 3/4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ncnichol

Reaction score
Do you have a datalog of this happening?
Post datalog and tune.
Is it commanding the shift to do this?
I do have a data log actually. When I get home tonight I will post it. Oh yes I have video on it the whole deal LOL so I have a tuner that is apparently pretty good he's got his own Shop with a dyno with the website it all good reviews used Him in in the past, several of us have and it's all been good. Although he's missed the boat on this problem I believe. So yes I have a datalog I will post it when I get home. While it was Data logging I went into special vehicle functions and locked the converter once I got up to speed it made no difference it kept kicking in and out. So then I commanded the converter to unlock which I'm thinking is going to prevent it from locking still did the same thing. This was just kind of an extra test for me because I had already altered the tune to tell the converter not to lock up until 256 mph in every gear essentially eliminating the lockup converter out of the equation. Made no difference. So I put the tune back so the converter had the previous settings. I also went into the tune and looked to see how much separation there was in the part throttle settings as to when it shifted into fourth gear and then when it downshifted back to Third I compared it to some of the other Factory tunes that I have and it was basically the same but I still increased the gap between when it shifted into fourth and then down shifted back to third I widen that Gap by about 4 mph made no difference. Those shift scheduling changes I just talked about were not part of this data log I did that earlier. So back to the data log, I did the lock up and unlock converter commands that I said then when that made no difference I commanded it to lock into fourth when I was up to speed made no difference it still kicked in and out. So it also kind of does it in third gear just not as bad so I dropped to third gear and I commended it to lock into third and it still did the same thing. Am I thinking here is that I've kind of eliminated internal problems because I've commanded it to lock and unlock in several different combinations and made no difference. Kind of tells me it's not an internal problem but a control problem. Anyway I do have a data log and I will post it when I get home

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It reminds me of a ground issue. Did you make sure you've got adequate grounds from engine to frame, body, ecm, etc? Blower install would have messed with them. Definitely a command issue. Or maybe I should say it seems like a communication issue between transmission and controller.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do have a data log actually. When I get home tonight I will post it. Oh yes I have video on it the whole deal LOL so I have a tuner that is apparently pretty good he's got his own Shop with a dyno with the website it all good reviews used Him in in the past, several of us have and it's all been good. Although he's missed the boat on this problem I believe. So yes I have a datalog I will post it when I get home. While it was Data logging I went into special vehicle functions and locked the converter once I got up to speed it made no difference it kept kicking in and out. So then I commanded the converter to unlock which I'm thinking is going to prevent it from locking still did the same thing. This was just kind of an extra test for me because I had already altered the tune to tell the converter not to lock up until 256 mph in every gear essentially eliminating the lockup converter out of the equation. Made no difference. So I put the tune back so the converter had the previous settings. I also went into the tune and looked to see how much separation there was in the part throttle settings as to when it shifted into fourth gear and then when it downshifted back to Third I compared it to some of the other Factory tunes that I have and it was basically the same but I still increased the gap between when it shifted into fourth and then down shifted back to third I widen that Gap by about 4 mph made no difference. Those shift scheduling changes I just talked about were not part of this data log I did that earlier. So back to the data log, I did the lock up and unlock converter commands that I said then when that made no difference I commanded it to lock into fourth when I was up to speed made no difference it still kicked in and out. So it also kind of does it in third gear just not as bad so I dropped to third gear and I commended it to lock into third and it still did the same thing. Am I thinking here is that I've kind of eliminated internal problems because I've commanded it to lock and unlock in several different combinations and made no difference. Kind of tells me it's not an internal problem but a control problem. Anyway I do have a data log and I will post it when I get home
Make sure to have Current Gear selected as well as TCC Slip and TCC status.
Also have Transmission shifter position selected

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ive had a bad pressure manifold switch cause similar issues before is the only reason i mentioned those Pids or Channels to be selected for datalog

ncnichol

Reaction score

ncnichol

Reaction score
sorry for the delay, life has been interfering with my hot rod lol. so im going to try and load my log file, this is new to me..... you might see 5 copy's of it or none lol. it doesnt look like i had any success, click on attach files.... it goes to ,my logs and tunes but theres nothing there. ive tried dragging the file ....nothing works. im so frustrated with the computer part of this.... why cant the file just be there? but no, it never is..... so sick of it, just want to send a simple file but no..... sorry guys ive spent over an hr trying to simply attach a file, got to take a break before i completly lose it.

ncnichol

Reaction score
It reminds me of a ground issue. Did you make sure you've got adequate grounds from engine to frame, body, ecm, etc? Blower install would have messed with them. Definitely a command issue. Or maybe I should say it seems like a communication issue between transmission and controller.
oh yah one thing you can be sure of is good grounds. every single one was removed cleaned and reinstalled, then i even added some extra ones. im actually pretty good at electrical