Need help picking out crate motor.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
My ATK wound up in a competent and highly qualified local shop for full disassembly inspection and rebuild. I would suggest a GMPP engine, or find a trustworthy shop to build you one.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
yeah i've heard good things about the GM performance engines, but have also heard you pay for the GM name more than anything. I've heard good news about blueprint, nothing about ATK until 2 seconds ago.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
In the hotrod world, blueprint is hit or miss. Sketchy warranty department.

Mass production should be trusted only with the OEM's.

I'm suggesting for uou to do what I should have done in the first place, GMPP OR Local shop. I'm trying to help you by letting you learn from my mistake, man. Take my advice.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
Yeah... i've got the money to spend, i just don't want to end up spending way more than i should for a carb'd 350. I'm swapping the truck from a 6.5 diesel, if i get over $4k it becomes more realistic to just rebuild the 6.5 which i really don't want to do.

If i get into the 5-6k range, thats cummins territory, price wise.

I really like the SBC option because gas motors are just less of a pain in the ass to deal with in a truck that doesn't get driven everyday..

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Call a couple shops around you. Roller block, decent cam, L31 heads set up for the cam. There will be $ left over to spend on headers and exhaust.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
i'm looking to spend around $3000-3500. Anything more than that, a 350 just doesn't make sense. Then i get into the price range where i might as well spend the $5k and do the cummins swap. which i really don't want to have to do. Cummins are great motors but thats an expensive motor and i don't need that kind of towing power.

JScott23

8 Lug Expert
Reaction score
again not trying to be cheap, i just have to stay within a realistic price range or a 350 swap just doesn't make financial sense. And I reallllllly don't want to mess around with another 6.5 or a $7k cummins swap.

Jrgunn5150

Enjoying tomorrow's success today
Reaction score
again not trying to be cheap, i just have to stay within a realistic price range or a 350 swap just doesn't make financial sense. And I reallllllly don't want to mess around with another 6.5 or a $7k cummins swap.

How much is the HT383 these day's?