1988 5.7 TBI heads

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NMNorsse

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Blew a head gasket and thinking about replacing or upgrading the heads while I've got it torn down but I'm on a limited budget.

Not interested in the vortec heads route or upgrading to a roller cam set up. Just need to get back on the road.

Found these heads and wondering if they'd be an improvement over the OEM ones? They're not much more $$ than OEM replacements.

If there is a better option in the under $500/per range, I'd appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

EDIT- Those heads don't work with a TBI motor. Thank you to Vikingdude and Tpass for pointing it out.

Last edited:

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On TBI motors you have the two bolts at the wacky angle, different from "regular" small block heads. I don't think these will work with the TBI manifold, but maybe someone more confident can chime in.

NMNorsse

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
On TBI motors you have the two bolts at the wacky angle, different from "regular" small block heads. I don't think these will work with the TBI manifold, but maybe someone more confident can chime in.
Thank you for raising that. I'd confirm fit with Summit before ordering unless someone else chimes in on one side or the other.

EDIT- Those heads don't fit my engine according to Summit.

Last edited:

tpass

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
yep the two center most bolts on the TBI intake are machined so that the bolts are vertical, you are limited on what heads you can "bolt on" to a TBI motor (if you plan on keeping everything else original). I'm not even sure there are aftermarket or "upgrade" heads for a TBI.

Probably best to just get yours checked by a reputable machine shop and put it back together, or just check for flatness yourself and replace the head gaskets.

NMNorsse

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
yep the two center most bolts on the TBI intake are machined so that the bolts are vertical, you are limited on what heads you can "bolt on" to a TBI motor (if you plan on keeping everything else original). I'm not even sure there are aftermarket or "upgrade" heads for a TBI.

Probably best to just get yours checked by a reputable machine shop and put it back together, or just check for flatness yourself and replace the head gaskets.
Thank you. I am going to get my heads fluxed and checked by a good local machine shop. I'm hoping for the best but planning for the worst and considering my options performance wise. If I need new heads Summit has OEM ones for $325 each. If there is an upgrade for a little more, I'd do that.

If my heads are okay and there aren't really any bolt on upgrade heads for around $500/ea I'll talk to the machine shop about milling the heads and intake to reduce the volume of the compression chamber a little.

Last edited:

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Any cylinder head with pushrod guideplates will require NON-self aligning rocker arms, and hardened pushrods. Don't forget to add that cost to the cylinder head price.