Need help '97 vortec - Edelbrock Power package top end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dubs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Blackbear tunes factory ecms the Fitech uses its own ECM. Have you considered a marine vortec intake? Gives you external replaceable injectors that your stock ECM can run. Or a 411 ECM also. Dubs has a factory tbi truck and I don't see a trans dipstick so it might be a manual transmission.

Yes it is a factory 5 speed. But I like the input on the trans. My 5 speed has 226k on it. It's on its last leg so I'm liking the info on transmissions. I'm looking to pull the trigger in the fall on a 4l60e with controller.

Dubs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not that my $.02 makes a difference but if I didn't pick the truck up for cheap with a brand new ATK 5.7 Vortec Stage 1 in it I would've done the 5.3 swap. At times I still wish I had gone that route. I had a lot of issues at first. Basically had to pull the intake and replace with the better FelPro 8800T (I think model # is right set). FiTech could not hold any value I set. Once I figured out intake was leaking it fixed everything. This will be my daily driver.

You throw a set of aluminum heads on the 5.3 with a mild street cam and guys are getting 400+hp and still maintaining 14-18mpg

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All LS motors are aluminum heads as far as I know. If your a 5 speed I'd consider a 700r4 swap. It's a 4L60E without the computer plenty strong. And on vacuum leaks that will mess with many engine controls, talk about frustrating my dad's 5.3 had an intake vacuum leak that took a bit to figure out caused an interment p0300 and another p030?

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All LS motors are aluminum heads as far as I know. If your a 5 speed I'd consider a 700r4 swap. It's a 4L60E without the computer plenty strong. And on vacuum leaks that will mess with many engine controls, talk about frustrating my dad's 5.3 had an intake vacuum leak that took a bit to figure out caused an interment p0300 and another p030?
I know that some of the early 6.0's came with iron heads.

Dubs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Let me rephrase, a set of better flowing alum's. It took me for ever to figure out it was the intake. Got mad one day hit about 5k in the driveway in neutral and poof, blue smoke. Hmm, Vortec engine, hmm notorious for intake gaskets letting go.
On the 700R4 vs 4l60E it's about $500 difference after built with converter and computrol box from Monster trans. Just giving you pricing where I've shopped so far. I have given a lot of thought to the 700r4. But I'm kind of a nerd and would really like the adjustability on shift points and shift pressures per TPS read out and trans pressure which the Computrol gives you that adjustability. It also would give me push button shift for drive gears which means my shift gate only needs to be PRND. I have ideas in my head, but they're just ideas for now.

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can see wanting to play with shift points etc, as long as you realize the extra work your getting into. I've got a 411 ECM in the shed just need a truck to put it in, I was looking for a vortec burb but after almost 6 months ended up with the tbi so no pcm swap here.

I'd forgotten about the early 6.0 cast iron heads. Good point skylark.

Dubs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can see wanting to play with shift points etc, as long as you realize the extra work your getting into. I've got a 411 ECM in the shed just need a truck to put it in, I was looking for a vortec burb but after almost 6 months ended up with the tbi so no pcm swap here.

I'd forgotten about the early 6.0 cast iron heads. Good point skylark.

Check out the computrol II module. It's pretty simple to install. TPS, tach, power, ground. The adjustability is insane.
https://www.hgmelectronics.com/products-compushift-controllers/compushiftii

I have to change out flywheel and drive shaft. But would have to do that anyway with what ever trans I go with. I have the M5L60? What ever the 5 speed is from that year. I did look at the 6 speeds but not dropping $3k on a tranny then additional $1k on parts to convert it.

Vodka0tter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Struggling here. I know what the majority will come back with (LS swap) and I keep looking that direction but - I would like to keep it original to the era, for no specific reason I guess just would like to do so.

what are the limitations of the 454 swap? Other than the trans - any road blocks that make this a tough decision?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
I would take an LS swap every day of the week and twice on Sunday over an antique 'vintage' 454.

There really is no comparison. Yes, you can make big power with a big block of any displacement, even a 396 or 402. Large chamber, canted valves so they breathe decently stock, but slow, inefficient chamber design, requires more timing lead. Higher emissions, heavier rotating and reciprocating assembly. Heavier valvetrain, reducing potential RPM capability, but will make up with sheer cubic inches and torque down low. Big reduction in fuel economy... figure 10 mpg empty.

Retrofitting a hydraulic roller camshaft can be done, but not inexpensive to do so. Vortec era 454 already has a hydraulic roller cam, but TBI era has a hydraulic flat tappet.

You can still make good power with a hydraulic flat tappet cam, but the trade off is life expectancy when the seat pressures get higher, higher proportion of wear metals in the engine oil, higher friction, etc. ( roller is around 1/3rd the breakaway torque of a flat tappet )

The aftermarket support for all of the engines is extensive, whether small block, big block, or LS.

On a plus side, the LS engines are cross bolted through the lower skirt of the block, and in stock form can reliably support 1000 horsepower, without resorting to a heavier, high nickel 'bowtie' race block for the older small blocks and big blocks, when the power levels are higher than stock.

LS engines have lightweight valves with beehive springs, enhanced rpm capability.