Need help '97 vortec - Edelbrock Power package top end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vodka0tter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I need some insight here guys. I have a '97 vortec and live in a non emissions area (just visual). I am strongly considering an Edelbrock top end kit. Their P/N 2096 along with a FiTeck self tuning unit (30003)

Top end kit consists of:
7516 performer air gap intake. Vortec head style - no egr.
60985 heads, 2.02/1.60 vortec style
2207 cam, .594 lift/242 duration on 112 LSA

Heads are assembled and matched with all the other components and also has new timing set, lifters, rods etc... The new parts list also includes a built trans, rear etc.

I would go to BlackBear for tuning (waiting to hear back from them) but am worried about all the existing sensors and such.

Am I headed down the wrong path here? Concern with MAF, MAP, Evap purge solenoid, injector harness... Do these all get tuned out? You just remove the harness for them?

Help...

Black_cirrus

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think your a little confused, the Fitech replaces all need of OE sensors except for those needed for the gauges and eliminates the need for a pcm retune as it replaces the pcm with its own. You could them remove most the engine harness, but you'd probably be better served by getting the Fitech with ignition control and using it for your spark. After that you'd have to control the transmission if your an automatic. Makes me wonder if you could have a Fitech unit and run it with a 0411 pcm, that's another topic.

Last edited:

Vodka0tter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the replys - the GMT400 is new to me. I played with a lot of SB 350s and did have some experience with a 2005 ram/hemi. I know tuning is so unique to the year/make etc and know nothing about the Vortec or its PCM as it relates to tuning abilities.

I checked into the EFI 4 600, has spark control. I'll have to call them to see what dist. can/should be used. I assume the spark control can be removed from the PCM controls? I need to also call a couple of tuners on this.

Regarding the visual - I have a guy (I think...) just need to make sure I can have everything play nice together.

So MY current PCM requires it to be pulled, sent off, tunes and returned (I think?) The 0411 is able to be tuned via email tunes and hand held?

Last edited:
Reaction score
I am not sure on that cam choice, a little big for my taste. I wouldn't go bigger than 218/225 @.050 on duration and 490 to 510 lift max but that's just me. CL about 110 to 112

Vodka0tter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, second guessing alot here...

Cam is big. I am running 5:53 gears and a 2800 stall but stock compression - still a big cam for typical driving.Cant help but going back to my days of running at the track - Old tendencies..

The FiTeck is gonna cause me problems with the tune as well I think. Yes - the visual can be a problem too but will work through that.

Anyway - thinking more of a 94-97 Camaro vortec intake with fuel rails and TB. Keep the heads, smaller rolling thunder cam and billet Vortec Dist. Not sure if the smog stuff is directly transferable in the PCM.

Vodka0tter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well, i guess nothing is gonna work other than custom built intake for this year. drop and punt time...

gonna keep the heads and do what i can with this intake/injection. i mean i hear it can support 400 hp just looks like ****. smaller cam swap in order regardless of the intake. maybe a 383 short block...