Need help '97 vortec - Edelbrock Power package top end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vodka0tter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, leak down didnt go so good. Most were in the 10(ish)% but had two cyl that were over 20%. Never really saw smoke though. Only drove it a few times though.

Dubs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well you can either build the engine yourself or order one from ATK or someone like that done. This is what is in mine. Again it came like this otherwise I would've done the 5.3L swap. This ATK runs pretty damn good. It will very easily throw you back if my single tracker will hook and for highway accel and passing cars, no issues. It's about like driving my Tundra.

http://www.high-performance-engines.com/chevy-350-base-engine-350hp-p/hp32.htm

Vodka0tter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info dubs. Giving the mill considerations a break. Tired of thinking about it (lol) Started tearing the rear end apart -

Dubs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info dubs. Giving the mill considerations a break. Tired of thinking about it (lol) Started tearing the rear end apart -

let me know how that goes. Once my front end is back together I'm going to attempt the 05 Tahoe swap to disc in the rear and possi.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
This seems like it's for the most part still up in the air.

I'll start with this. If you're keeping the stock intake, it will be the restriction in any sort of respectable buildup; especially if you're trying to increase operating range. It's best to build to the potential of the intake and stop there, unless you can swing some other type of intake manifold setup. Seems like the last thing I read was that the stock intake would be used in the buildup. Accordingly, you'll want intake ports on the smaller side, between 170cc and 180cc or so, unless you're looking at the AFR 190's, but that is an entirely different ball game. 200cc is too much. Are you aware that the iron vortec heads are capable of 400+ horses without any port or chamber work? Now keep in mind this is usually with a carburetor style intake manifold, either single or dual plane. But, just trick springs and a cam and of course the complementary upgrades to spark/fuel, exhaust and you're there. I can't tell you how many times I've ridden in my buddy's Nova and watched him rev past 7000 rpm, with the LT4 hot cam, a dual plane, vortec heads, headers, etc. From this, I'll say the hot cam is too much. It's just not optimal in an idle-5500 engine. A smaller cam that could maximize output "under the curve" in this range would make more sense.

First thing's first. Choose heads. Vortecs? Etec 170's? RHS? EQ?

Vodka0tter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I would most likely start with the 170s. Simply because it is aluminum (weight) and is all new components with good lift capabilities. I would be porting the stock intake and adding the spacer (and possibly the "MPFI" spider if it is a benefit to the build). I also found a 80mm TB that could be installed if I need improve from the 74mm (?) stock unit. Not sure what impact on flow this would support.

On another note, I found a 383 that a local builder has. The original buyer couldn't come up with the funds so its for sale. I am wondering would be a good candidate. All GM parts (gaskets and all) and have never been fired up.

383 block (19332527)
Fast Burn 62cc heads 2.00/1.55 (think the flow 210cc - 19300955)
LT4 hot cam. Not sure of the lift but has 1.6 roller rockers installed so current lift is 525 with 218/22/ duration.

Thoughts?

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Well I would most likely start with the 170s. Simply because it is aluminum (weight) and is all new components with good lift capabilities. I would be porting the stock intake and adding the spacer (and possibly the "MPFI" spider if it is a benefit to the build). I also found a 80mm TB that could be installed if I need improve from the 74mm (?) stock unit. Not sure what impact on flow this would support.

On another note, I found a 383 that a local builder has. The original buyer couldn't come up with the funds so its for sale. I am wondering would be a good candidate. All GM parts (gaskets and all) and have never been fired up.

383 block (19332527)
Fast Burn 62cc heads 2.00/1.55 (think the flow 210cc - 19300955)
LT4 hot cam. Not sure of the lift but has 1.6 roller rockers installed so current lift is 525 with 218/22/ duration.

Thoughts?

No.

slowburb

all motor
Reaction score
Remember the "vortec" L31 is a different animal. As Michael pointed out, there is no suspended air/fuel mixture coming in through the throttle body or the intake manifold. That more or less means the old school sbc rules don't so much apply, where plenum volume and venturi bore size is so paramount. I can't see how a mild build would benefit from a bigger "throttle body", but I belong to the school of thought where smaller venturis (and smaller ports and smaller heads and smaller cams) make more torque. Etec 170's, huh? I'd be looking at cams with around 206° to 212° intake duration @ .050, and lift around .500" to .550", and LSA no wider than 110°.

Vodka0tter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Gottcha -

builder guy says he'd sell the block with Eagle crank, rods and pistons for 1800 - GM assembled.