Need help '97 vortec - Edelbrock Power package top end

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

michael hurd

Stalker be gone.
Reaction score
Looking good so far, I hope you don't end up lean at WOT full load though with a healthy 383. Some of the builds I saw were reporting injectors at 100% duty cycle with a 350 with similar porting, manifold spacers and headers.

Vodka0tter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Installed 36 lb injectors. Still have a (re-tuned) black box in. Looking for a local tuner. Have a 411 but haven't wired it in yet. I'll dyno tune it with the 411 once I find some one local.

Also just picked up a ram air set up on the cheap but lacks injectors n TB. We'll see what happens once I find a dyno. If the fuel maps OK I'll leave it, if not I'll mount up the ram.

Last edited:

Vodka0tter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got it running this weekend. I was not able to set the timing though. Tried to use Car Gauge Pro but it would not read my ECM. Perhaps because it was tuned? I guess I'll try the local chevy delaer. Not throwing codes but I dont think its right. Get a misfire, well hic up while under light load at low RPM. Just kinda acts like its not set right.

Speaking of tune, I opted to tune the black box. The tune is for crap... Runs VERY rich. Lots of surge which I expected because of the duration but its just, well so "base tune". Maybe I should go with the 411 PCM?

I dont have a shop around here that will work on tunes (for this truck). Does the 411 support email re-flash? Start with a base tune, data log with a hand held and email a file etc...?

BUT - all in all with 150 miles on it I can tell you this has a TON of torque. Hopefully I'll get the tune/timing worked out by break in...

Christian Steffen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got it running this weekend. I was not able to set the timing though. Tried to use Car Gauge Pro but it would not read my ECM. Perhaps because it was tuned? I guess I'll try the local chevy delaer. Not throwing codes but I dont think its right. Get a misfire, well hic up while under light load at low RPM. Just kinda acts like its not set right.

Speaking of tune, I opted to tune the black box. The tune is for crap... Runs VERY rich. Lots of surge which I expected because of the duration but its just, well so "base tune". Maybe I should go with the 411 PCM?

I dont have a shop around here that will work on tunes (for this truck). Does the 411 support email re-flash? Start with a base tune, data log with a hand held and email a file etc...?

BUT - all in all with 150 miles on it I can tell you this has a TON of torque. Hopefully I'll get the tune/timing worked out by break in...

411 would be worthwhile, but its not the black box's fault that the tune is off. You could have someone remote tune the truck, but to do that you'd have to buy a tuning software such as efilive or hp tuners to be able to flash the tunes. At that point you might as well learn to do it yourself.

Vodka0tter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well, what a difference a day makes... Ran like a champ today! No hic-up, no surge...

Gonna have the stealer check the timing advance Friday. No codes but I cant be that lucky just stabbing the dizzy in and hitting +- 2deg.

200 miles on the new mill now.

Last edited: