Nbs 4l80 to obs 4l80

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chadimus06

Reaction score
I have a 97 c3500 and was curious if a NBS 4l80 will work without anything crazy. 2wd to 2wd. Other than the obvious I know the LS has the extra bolt hole at the top of the bellhousing. just not sure about electronic wise or flywheel or torq converter. any input would be nice

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Electrical is the same 91-03 or 04

Itll also bolt right up too. The ls had a flexplate adapter that wont be needed with sbc,bbc

I went through the opposite of what your doing. I put an ls in front of an obs 4l80e

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, it will work just fine. Just reuse your NSS and keep your flywheel.

Have you removed your old transmission? Does it have one of the fluid cooler line near the rear of the unit? 1997 was a transition year. If so, no modifications required. Otherwise you'll have to extend that one line; it's easy though.

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't mean to hyjack the thread, but my 99 has a funky trans. I found one from an 07 IIRC on marketplace, would that work? Never knew much bout trans....

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my has both lines at the front. Which one would need to be extended
Check on the fluid flow on line. They have a diagram for this.

I forgot to mention, but the 4L80e with the LS I'm pretty sure had a slightly higher stall speed torque converter.
Don't mean to hyjack the thread, but my 99 has a funky trans. I found one from an 07 IIRC on marketplace, would that work? Never knew much bout trans....
Yes, it will work. Why is your 99 funky? It should have the rear cooler line, so a direct replacement.

Last edited:

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Electronics changed 03/04. So i know it wouldnt be a direct swap

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Electronics changed 03/04. So i know it wouldnt be a direct swap
That's true, but the internal electronics of the transmission itself was kept the same until the end of production. If there are any small changes, the ECU should still run it. The NSS are definitely different, so he's got to keep his old one.

I'm running an 06 swapped unit on my 99 NBS. Before it was running a 95 unit.

Unless he found a 6 speed? Those are way different from the outside though.

Last edited:

b454rat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
1st to 2nd It shifts really lazy at light throttle, but the more throttle the more it shutters and makes noise lol. After that it shifts fine. PO told me he had it rebuilt, checked out, whatever n couldn't find the issue. Id love to swap to a 5-speed, but it's cheaper to find another 4L80 than to buy an NV-4500, then I have to get everything else for the swap. I'm looking tho lol.

Dropped88

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's true, but the internal electronics of the transmission itself was kept the same until the end of production. If there are any small changes, the ECU should still run it. The NSS are definitely different, so he's got to keep his old one.

I'm running an 06 swapped unit on my 99 NBS. Before it was running a 95 unit.

Unless he found a 6 speed? Those are way different from the outside though.
Awesome thats good to know they didnt suffer major changes with its interchangeablity like the 4l60e did over its life