”Nbs Rear Rotor options for obs swap 6 Lug to 2wd 5 Lug Options?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was leaning towards buying the 20 mm obs spacers through Cunningham to run nbs rear discs , seems a more efficient way to do things , plus it leaves the option for quality rear caliper upgrades down the line .

Or spend a little bit more on parting it together using the 82 ‘ Eldorado calipers and pad swap and 95 impala rotors along with the machined swap bracket offered , but limited to single piston calipers at that point.

If I go pull all the nbs rear brake components from a donor 00-06 what option do I have easiest to make 5lug rotors out of the factory 6lug ~ Re-drill I assume is standard and ok to do …or is there a 5x5 rotor offered for the 10 bolt nbs trucks aftermarket?

Last edited:

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Never done it, or plan on doing it, but I would find someone local. Why pay all that shipping cost. I’d look for a local machine shop.

A97obs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yea I agree I wasn’t sure if that kind of work is loosely done based of a type of machine or lug pattern template or if any old machine shops would know how to drill 9/16” hole on a perfect 5x127 pattern

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Yea I agree I wasn’t sure if that kind of work is loosely done based of a type of machine or lug pattern template or if any old machine shops would know how to drill 9/16” hole on a perfect 5x127 pattern
If a Machine shop says that they cannot drill new holes on a circle to a givien spec they should not be in business.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or spend a little bit more on parting it together using the 82 ‘ Eldorado calipers and pad swap and 95 impala rotors along with the machined swap bracket offered , but limited to single piston calipers at that point.
A while back I was looking at putting my '69 Cadillac chassis back together. I quickly discovered the '69-76 Cadillac brake parts are no longer available, and that the '77-84 brake parts were a bolt on. I don't think the parts availability of '82 Cadillac rear rotors is going to improve, so you may be making a mod that's unsupportable in ten years.

If I were wanting rear discs, I'd go with a full NBS swap. Swap the whole rear axle, swap in the front brakes, swap in the master cylinder. Otherwise I'd leave it alone. You can make a pretty bad combination of brake parts if you're not careful. If you swap the entire system, the engineers did the work for you.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If a Machine shop says that they cannot drill new holes on a circle to a givien spec they should not be in business.

I’ve had shops turn me away, claiming liability concerns… “brakes” being a safety matter.

Maybe some shops will do such work, but I’ve come to assume they won’t.

Maybe they’re saving my a$$ by keeping me from doing something stupid.

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or spend a little bit more on parting it together using the 82 ‘ Eldorado calipers and pad swap and 95 impala rotors

I’ll say “that might not be enough brake” for a ~6000# C1500 Suburban like yours, with about half that weight the rear, oversized tires (which you mentioned in another post) and the potential for pulling a trailer.

@Erik the Awful made good points from a maintainability and performance perspective… go with NBS both F/R. But I also realize that entails some work… and forces your hand to go 6-lug all around.

Last edited: