4l80e paddle shift, not holding back

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I recently rebuilt the 4l80e in my 94 k1500 with jake's stage 2 rebuild kit, billet input, rollerized output, and all the other go-fast goodies that come in the kit. I must note, it is a newer transmission with the extra bellhousing bolt hole. Anyway, it works like a dream.
It is controlled by a us shift quick4 gen2 standalone controller that I have setup for manutronic mode. For those who don't know what that is, it allows me to control upshift and downshift with switches.
Now that you know what I've got, here's my "problem". It only holds back in 4th gear. Let's say I'm town, 2nd gear lockup. When I let off the throttle, engine idles. Or, let's say I'm in 3rd gear lockup, cruising the back roads, again, when I let off throttle, engine returns to idle. Of course, if I pull the shift lever down to match my gear, it holds back just fine.
It is my understanding that this is normal on a 4l80e. However, I'd like if it held back (engine braking) in ALL gears as I electronically downshift, meaning leaving gear selector in "D".
I'd like an education on why it has no engine braking in gears 1-3 with shift lever in "D", and if it's possible to "enable" engine braking in all gears without moving shift lever.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently rebuilt the 4l80e in my 94 k1500 with jake's stage 2 rebuild kit, billet input, rollerized output, and all the other go-fast goodies that come in the kit. I must note, it is a newer transmission with the extra bellhousing bolt hole. Anyway, it works like a dream.
It is controlled by a us shift quick4 gen2 standalone controller that I have setup for manutronic mode. For those who don't know what that is, it allows me to control upshift and downshift with switches.
Now that you know what I've got, here's my "problem". It only holds back in 4th gear. Let's say I'm town, 2nd gear lockup. When I let off the throttle, engine idles. Or, let's say I'm in 3rd gear lockup, cruising the back roads, again, when I let off throttle, engine returns to idle. Of course, if I pull the shift lever down to match my gear, it holds back just fine.
It is my understanding that this is normal on a 4l80e. However, I'd like if it held back (engine braking) in ALL gears as I electronically downshift, meaning leaving gear selector in "D".
I'd like an education on why it has no engine braking in gears 1-3 with shift lever in "D", and if it's possible to "enable" engine braking in all gears without moving shift lever.
For engine breaking, the 4L80E needs the LR band for breaking in 1st, int band for 2nd and the coast clutches for 1st-3rd. As you know this isnt possible while in Drive - from the factory.

Have you contacted Jake's Performance or speak to them when you bought your overhaul kit?

I believe he was developing such a kit to modify the valve body to achieve what you're looking to do...

Last edited:

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I haven't spoken to Jakes about this, as it isn't actually a "fault". I wasn't aware he was attempting to address this.
This setup is the 1st time I'm using the manutronic option, and wasn't aware of how the 4l80e operated. Research soon showed me it is operating correctly, but it is annoying at times.
I'll contact Jakes, see if they have a solution!
Thanks for the tip NickTransmissions!

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I haven't spoken to Jakes about this, as it isn't actually a "fault". I wasn't aware he was attempting to address this.
This setup is the 1st time I'm using the manutronic option, and wasn't aware of how the 4l80e operated. Research soon showed me it is operating correctly, but it is annoying at times.
I'll contact Jakes, see if they have a solution!
Thanks for the tip NickTransmissions!
You're welcome, man. The 4L60E has the same shift strategy as the 80E but TCI has a modified valve body that allows for Drive 3 oil to enter the other range circuits to allow engine breaking while remaining in D3 so perhaps contact them as well to see if they've done the same or similar for the 4L80E if Jake's hasn't developed anything.

TCI 4L60E

Last edited:

gearheadE30

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
depending on what year 4L80E you have, Sonnax makes a kit that does this. I have one in my GMT800 suburban, it works well enough. I bought it because I needed a rebuilt valve body anyway though, and that setup also gives you some bonus holding power. Figured it couldn't hurt on a cammed 8.1 that tows a lot. Something like $400 if I remember right. there's no way to do it electronically, your alternative would be to set the manual valve in D3 and use your paddle shifts for first, second, and third and have overrun braking.

CumminsFever

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I eyeballed that sonnax overrun kit, and if I understand it correctly, it just may do what I'm looking for.
I also contacted Jakes, waiting on response.
Love the 4l80e, it just has this little quirk I'm not used to!

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The overrun kit allows the overruns to be on when the shift lever is in the D4 position. 1,2,3 will have the overruns applied, 4th will not. This kit is good for a forgetful owner who doesn't pull down the shift lever into 3rd with heavy loads/towing or beating on it. Also good for for vehicles driven by staff, fleet vehicles etc. It works in ANY 4L80E but requires modification of the valve body tube for the 91-96 units.

EDIT: this kit WILL not bring on the bands for engine breaking, you will still need to pull the lever manually into 1st or 2nd for this.