Me again, was under the truck today and found this

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Agreed, that thing has been cut with a disc cutter or something. As to why.... Maybe someone was trying to remove (or check for) a foreign object.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Maybe someone was trying to remove (or check for) a foreign object.

Now that I think about it a buddy of mine had an issue where a piece of his starter gear broke off and ended up inside the inspection cover on a $500 LT1 Buick Roadmaster. I can't remember if he actually did this or not but I know we joked about it instead of taking the time to remove the inspection cover. That would be my guess after considering all the info here.

JODiE_DLN

Reaction score
Thank you for all your replies! I don't remember seeing that hole when i bought the truck as I did get under it and i would have noticed that surely. I did think it looked deliberate but unsure, it os possible as a few of you have said it may have just chewed through the cover. But again it may have been deliberate and i may have missed it haha, kinda strange anyway. Ill get under there with it on for a video to see if it looks like the plate is warped!

JODiE_DLN

Reaction score
I'm also not driving it for the time being, and Im assuming the general consensus is probably don't drive it, incase sonething gets stuck in there? And causes more trouble

JODiE_DLN

Reaction score
I wouldn't worry a bit about it. Hell, I've had small blocks with that flexplate cover missing completely!
Are you sure? Im just afraid of stones getting in there I wanted to take it to the beach this weekend but was skeptical about that!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
X2, as long as the flex plate looks good I wouldn't worry about driving it.

Dan_Frisbie

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are you sure? Im just afraid of stones getting in there I wanted to take it to the beach this weekend but was skeptical about that!
Positive. I wouldn't do any serious off roading, but I wasn't kidding when I stated that some of my SBC motors in cars and trucks had no cover at all.

JODiE_DLN

Reaction score
Appreciate it lads, you've been a big help, getting it sorted next week (xmas time smh) got a few other small bits that need doing too, nothing major which is cool! Love these trucks, while they're becoming more common in NZ, they're still not cheap out her haha!

jasons99hoe

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
someone cut the hole in it. previous owner possibly. the cuts are way too straight to be road damage. they wanted a window to see what it was doing