Me again, was under the truck today and found this

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JODiE_DLN

Reaction score
So was under the truck trying to find the source of that rattle, have found a minor exhaust hole which could be the culprit (still unsure) but while I was under there, I noticed this hole, how does this even happen, its down by the oil filter which is also covered in some sort of oil, probably from the hole right next to it, sorry im not very techinical but the hole is in a cover that is connected to the trans, and as you can see, theres teeth of a wheel sticking out (im sure you guys know exactly what this is) its going to the shop asap, but how does this even happen

You must be registered for see images attach

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That's your flexplate inspection cover, and the flexplate sticking through. Looks like you ran over something and ripped it open. Not a huge deal, but I'd probably put a new cover on if I were you. I doubt it's the cause of your rattle but it's possible I suppose.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
If the flex plate is cracked and broken loose from the crank that could cause the converter cover to be damaged like that but I find it hard to believe that the starter would spin the engine and it would start but stranger things have happened. It is possible that some of the converter bolts have backed out and only one or two are holding on and the flex plate is warped.

The lack of oil at the cover kind of rules out worn crankshaft bearings. Have you checked the oil to see if it is full of metal?

89RCLB

I'm Awesome...
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's not unusual for the inspection covers to become warped due to heat and make contact with the flex plate. Have seen it many times.

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
That's your flexplate inspection cover, and the flexplate sticking through. Looks like you ran over something and ripped it open. Not a huge deal, but I'd probably put a new cover on if I were you. I doubt it's the cause of your rattle but it's possible I suppose.

If the flex plate was damaged by hitting something that was ran over it would be pretty lucky that the oil pan was not hit. The hole in the flex plate cover goes side to side not front to back. The damage in the flex plate cover looks like it was cut through by the teeth on the flex plate, kind of like a big saw blade.

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
Start the truck and look under at the hole in the flex plate cover and see if you can tell if the flex plate is running true or if it has a heck of a lot of run out.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If the flex plate was damaged by hitting something that was ran over it would be pretty lucky that the oil pan was not hit. The hole in the flex plate cover goes side to side not front to back. The damage in the flex plate cover looks like it was cut through by the teeth on the flex plate, kind of like a big saw blade.

Pretty lucky (or un-lucky) yes, but not impossible. My thought was maybe someone backed up and fell off of something (rock, wall, etc) and bumped the cover hard enough to push it into the teeth of the flexplate. Even a dead on bottom impact would make a hole that looks like that, because the cover is going to hit the plate and eventually self-clearance.

I agree it's a possibility that there's something out of whack there, though. I'd also like to see what happens when the plate is turning.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
That looks like a deliberate cut in the flex plate cover to me. The angles and lines are too straight to be an accident and it appears to be slightly forward of the flexplate teeth. Why, I have no idea.

I was kind of thinking that too... Just have no idea why anyone would ever do it...

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That looks like a deliberate cut in the flex plate cover to me. The angles and lines are too straight to be an accident and it appears to be slightly forward of the flexplate teeth. Why, I have no idea.

Looks like the work of a cut off wheel to me also. Either to clearance or inspect.