Found this when changing rear diff oil!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Local shop says $1200 for new bearings and seals. If that’s all it’s needs.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Has it been said… is yours the 9.5” rear?
Almost certainly the 10.5, full-float.

Local shop says $1200 for new bearings and seals. If that’s all it’s needs.
Look at my thread for installing a Truetrac differential into a 10.5 axle. The two side bearings would be fairly easy. The three pinion bearings will be more difficult; I didn't mess with them--but the pinion carrier unbolts from the rest of the axle, you could have the shop set-up the pinion carrier and not do the whole rebuild.

Point is, if you find a broken cage on one of the side bearings, you wouldn't have to mess with the pinion at all; and getting the differential adjusted properly with a side-bearing change is EASY on the 10.5.
www.gmt400.com/threads/10-5-full-float-truetrac-differential-installation.61321/
Specifically, Post 4 and onward.

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Almost certainly the 10.5, full-float.

Look at my thread for installing a Truetrac differential into a 10.5 axle. The two side bearings would be fairly easy. The three pinion bearings will be more difficult; I didn't mess with them--but the pinion carrier unbolts from the rest of the axle, you could have the shop set-up the pinion carrier and not do the whole rebuild.

Point is, if you find a broken cage on one of the side bearings, you wouldn't have to mess with the pinion at all; and getting the differential adjusted properly with a side-bearing change is EASY on the 10.5.
www.gmt400.com/threads/10-5-full-float-truetrac-differential-installation.61321/
Specifically, Post 4 and onward.
It is 10.5
Thanks for the info. I’ll look into this.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well , when they built the new big garage for UAL's , ground support equipment, they installed a triangular fixed tow bar hookup in deep concrete base. We would then chain aircraft tow tractors to it with a load cell to measure pulling power. Battery electric, diesel V8, a twin turbo V8 Mercedes, alco V12 Cummins. Railroads method to load test locomotives also. A tree just to smoke the tires? Just burning dollars.

Bob2650

Reaction score
Take a close look at both faces of every gear tooth with bright light. (and reading glasses if your over 40) Would be a miracle if none of that ever took a trip through the gears.
There is a fourth option: Junk yard rear axle. Quick, cheap and a lot easier to find a local mechanic who can do the swap for you without screwing it up.

Long time ago I bought a spreader and learned how to set up an axle. Parts are not cheap but a lot cheaper than paying some random guy who can't get a better job and hope he did it correctly. Now I am fearless tearing apart an axle.
Unfortunately, lack of TIME is a problem not easily solved without throwing lots of money at it.

Mechs, the great news is that you are a better mechanic than 99.99% of the population!
Your work did not get you stranded on the road with family and trailer.
:)

Last edited:

Denny 1991

Reaction score
Take a close look at both faces of every gear tooth with bright light. (and reading glasses if your over 40) Would be a miracle if none of that ever took a trip through the gears.
There is a fourth option: Junk yard rear axle. Quick, cheap and a lot easier to find a local mechanic who can do the swap for you without screwing it up.

Long time ago I bought a spreader and learned how to set up an axle. Parts are not cheap but a lot cheaper than paying some random guy who can't get a better job and hope he did it correctly. Now I am fearless tearing apart an axle.
Unfortunately, lack of TIME is a problem not easily solved without throwing lots of money at it.

Mechs, the great news is that you are a better mechanic than 99.99% of the population!
Just be careful to swap a diff with the same ratio unless you are going to swap out your front diff too.

Bob2650

Reaction score
I would guess the backlash is big and a bad wear pattern has already become established.
3.73 is probably the second most common 3/4 ton gear ratio. Should be easy for a junk yard to find. Don't bother with a truck that is not wrecked, you don't want one that went to the junk yard because it was worn out.

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Thank you sir! Still not sure what to do yet. The local shop that said $1200 is now not interested after showing the scrap metal found on magnet. I respect the fact that it’s out of his “wheel house” vs winging it. Checking with a few other shops.