90 GMC Sierra rear brake change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As noted I do rarely use the parking brake. The cables are not frozen. I assume that after initial adjustment that applying brakes when backing up is what moves the adjusters if it's like everything else I have ever owned with mechanical drum brakes. Please enlighten me if I am ignorant of how the system actually works in my truck.
Either should adjust them. I periodically use e-brake(always on parked incline) to at least keep it functioning.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
As noted I do rarely use the parking brake. The cables are not frozen. I assume that after initial adjustment that applying brakes when backing up is what moves the adjusters if it's like everything else I have ever owned with mechanical drum brakes. Please enlighten me if I am ignorant of how the system actually works in my truck.
There is a lot of filth and grime and crud in there. When you do the brake work, clean the backing plates thoroughly and at the shoe contact points, at the backing plates, lube with a high temp grease. Not gobs of it but a smear at that point. You can find that grease at the parts store. The threads of the adjusters is another great place to but a light film of that grease. Good luck. Also, when you get the new drums, use some brake clean and a clean/new shop towel to clean the shoe contact surface of the drums.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Either should adjust them. I periodically use e-brake(always on parked incline) to at least keep it functioning.
A good way to think of it, is as a "parking brake" and not an emergency brake. Use it when you park, as much as you remember. Even your park brake release handle is labeled "P" for park.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ran in to guys like you in the service and in the shops. I stayed away, just like I will here.

You must be registered for see images attach

I used to work with a guy who would purposefully push other people's buttons too far. He was hard working, exceptionally competent, and very smart, but he wanted to know how other people responded. Everybody who met him hated him until they understood that. Some people still disliked him after they figured him out, but all of them respected him.

Sometimes you have to respectfully disagree with Schurkey, and that's okay.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

I used to work with a guy who would purposefully push other people's buttons too far. He was hard working, exceptionally competent, and very smart, but he wanted to know how other people responded. Everybody who met him hated him until they understood that. Some people still disliked him after they figured him out, but all of them respected him.

Sometimes you have to respectfully disagree with Schurkey, and that's okay.
Agreed. As I stated, what he said is spot on. Delivery needs work, IMO. But, it is what it is and I spoke up. I always have and always will. I am a newcomer to this particular forum but not to the shops or mechanical work. At 71, I still do it at home. I don't dislike him. Far from it. I will just give a wide berth. I will also speak my mind.

Hell, he may tell me to pound sand and efff off. All good.

Last edited:

90gmcsierraL59

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I understand completely. I took no offense. I spent 24 years 8 months and 17 days in the USAF. I was an F-4 and F-15 Crew Chief for 17 years and a C-130 Flight Engineer for almost 8. I flew in the slick C-130e and in Spec ops in the MC-130P.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I understand completely. I took no offense. I spent 24 years 8 months and 17 days in the USAF. I was an F-4 and F-15 Crew Chief for 17 years and a C-130 Flight Engineer for almost 8. I flew in the slick C-130e and in Spec ops in the MC-130P.
:patriot:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Yea, you meet all kinds in the service. When I got out after 4 years and I would be sitting around bulls*h*i*t*t*i*n*g and having a beer with friends and they would ask how it all was. I would tell them that I loved going to all the places I went to on that aircraft carrier, when I did 4 West Pac's, but I just did not like some of the guys I went with. We all still had to do our jobs though and work together.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, you meet all kinds in the service. When I got out after 4 years and I would be sitting around bulls*h*i*t*t*i*n*g and having a beer with friends and they would ask how it all was. I would tell them that I loved going to all the places I went to on that aircraft carrier, when I did 4 West Pac's, but I just did not like some of the guys I went with. We all still had to do our jobs though and work together.
:patriot: