Brakes squishy when driving

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
On my 1998 k1500 I did pads, rotors, drums, shoes, and rear wheel cylinders and now while driving the pedal feels extra squishy compared to how they normally feel but when parked they feel fine. Yes I bled the brakes, yes the drums are adjusted, and the brake fluid is topped off. Anyone have any idea on what’s causing this?

WICruiser-97

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Getting the air out of the ABS system is a real challenge without the scan tool. The best I could do was repeated panic stops on a grass surface to get the ABS to cycle after bleeding the ABS module manually.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If air never reached the abs module then does it still need to be bled?
How do you know that air never reached the module? You make a comment but don't say how you know that. Air in the system is the squishy feel. When parked, I assume you mean engine is shut off and there is no power assist and that is why the pedal feels firmer. You asked for help. Listen to what has been said. Good luck.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do you know that air never reached the module? You make a comment but don't say how you know that. Air in the system is the squishy feel. When parked, I assume you mean engine is shut off and there is no power assist and that is why the pedal feels firmer. You asked for help. Listen to what has been said. Good luck.
I thought it was the other way around, meaning you bleed the brakes, they feel good, then start the truck and the pedal goes down.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Squishy feel could also be misadjusted rear shoes but the OP insists that the rears are adjusted properly. A caliper hanging up on the slides can do the same thing.

Reaction score
It’s good when parked with the engine on. I pinched the rear brake line to hopefully not get air upstream or let it drain out. And today I got the abs to activate a few times on the ice we got but the squishy pedal came back