Found this when changing rear diff oil!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is a fourth option: Junk yard rear axle. Quick, cheap and a lot easier to find a local mechanic who can do the swap for you without screwing it up.
Entirely reasonable.

Long time ago I bought a spreader
Again, TOTALLY reasonable for many varieties of integral axle/differential...but not needed for a 10.5" axle, which is set up using threaded adjusters. The adjusters just get unthreaded; no need to spread the case.

Now I am fearless tearing apart an axle.
You're a better man than me, Gunga Din. But I'm getting there.

mehcs

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Howdy folks.. short update on my situation.
I took the truck to a local shop since I don’t have the time or proper tools to tackle this.
What they found was the pinion support bearing failed but the bigger issue is that the race has been spinning and caused damage.
The new bearing which should be pressed in is basically slip fit and can be turned by hand in the bore. The pinion shaft also has damage.

Two options were to try and ping the bore and used green loctite or new axle.
Since I’m planning to use this to tow a 6klb travel trailer it was not recommended to try and repair.

Found a used axle with 100kmiles on it and 6 month warranty for $700. I think that’s the direction I’ll go unless you guys have any insight..

Attachments

• IMG_2988.jpeg
    IMG_2988.jpeg
    131.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2985.jpeg
    IMG_2985.jpeg
    516.7 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2986.jpeg
    IMG_2986.jpeg
    318.8 KB · Views: 7